cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Featured Contributor Joachim

Community Manager
Lena E Community Manager Member Since: Apr 7, 2015
1 of 6

Meet our November Featured Contributor Joachim M!

Joachim.jpeg

Joachim has helped many users with his shared feedback and knowledge. We were extremely grateful for Joachim's posts and expertise regarding VAT tax which helped many freelancers and agencies better understand the announcement. 

What category of jobs do you work in?

Translations English into German

When did you begin working on Upwork?

Really working only after the merger with Elance

Tell us a little about yourself and how you got started as a freelancer.

I have worked as a freelancer for many years by now. Most of my life I continuously switched between being self-employed and working as an employee. In 2007 I finally decided to never again work as an employee. I then started working as an Interim Manager in sales projects, mostly for the initial set up of sales and telemarketing teams. Later I added translating and started working on Elance. With the merger I added Upwork and other sites to my portfolio of workplaces.

What do you enjoy the most/least about freelancing?

Freedom. I can pick the projects I like and work at the time of the day I want to. Earnings might be better :-)

Do you have any advice for other users on Upwork?

Don't lowball. Ask for reasonable prices. If you acquire a client because you are lowballing you will quickly loose this client to another lowballer. Clients looking only for the lowest price without regard for quality are not worth having.

In other words, clients paying only peanuts should only be hiring monkeys. Are you a monkey?

Atleast two fun or interesting things about you?

1. Grew up and attended school in Accra, Ghana
  2. Studied with The Open University in Milton Keynes, UK completing a BSc, a PG Diploma and my MBA
  3. I love travelling, especially to Africa
  4. I still accept Interim assignment for setting up telemarketing teams but my day rate is high :-)

Untitled
Community Leader
HB B Member Since: Aug 9, 2015
2 of 6

Do you have any advice for other users on Upwork?

Don't lowball. Ask for reasonable prices. If you acquire a client because you are lowballing you will quickly loose this client to another lowballer. Clients looking only for the lowest price without regard for quality are not worth having.

In other words, clients paying only peanuts should only be hiring monkeys. Are you a monkey?

The best advice, right there. 

Thank you Joachim, the Upwork Lord of VAT! 

Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
3 of 6

heyyyy I was looking for this in the coffee room section and thought he didn't want to participate. LOL

I like reading these stories. Good writeup!

Nana Yaw O Member Since: Aug 1, 2016
4 of 6
Nice one .
Community Guru
Douglas Michael M Member Since: May 22, 2015
5 of 6

Hey, Joachim,

Congratulations both on the distinction and on slipping in the peanuts/monkey rule! (I am living proof of the theory of evolution.)

Best,

MM

Community Guru
Ela K Member Since: Feb 9, 2015
6 of 6

@Douglas Michael M wrote:

I am living proof of the theory of evolution.

Best,

MM

Smiley Surprised