Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Featured Contributor Kathryn B.

Highlighted
Community Manager
Lena E Member Since: Apr 7, 2015
1 of 10

Apologies for the delay in the this post. With much anticipation and excitement, meet our Featured Contributor Kathryn B.!

KathrynB.jpeg

What job category do you work in?

Blog and Article Writing

When did you begin using Upwork?

Tell us a little about yourself and how you got started Freelancing, or running your business online?

I am a mother of four lovely children who are turning out to be just like me (not sure if that is good or bad some days) and have spent the majority of my life working with horses. Whether grooming, training or competing; I found the work to be very fulfilling, but also physically stressful.

Eventually, I realized that I needed an income that did not require the risk of injury and chose to fall back on my writing skills as the answer to my dilemma.

After a few starts and stops, membership on a few sub par platforms, and some heavy consideration, I ended up at UpWork (then oDesk) after a merge with another platform.

In spite of a bit of a rocky start, I've managed to build a solid reputation and found the confidence I needed to succeed.

What do you enjoy the most/least about working online, Kathryn?

Working online has allowed me to spend far more time with my children, travel all over the United States, and truly enjoy what I do every day. The fact that I get to work in my pajamas without judgment is certainly a plus as well.

What was your most successful project/contract?

My most successful contract involved managing a blog for over 6 months. Creating the content plan, as well as writing all of the content really allowed me to take a deeper look at the WordPress platform and discover the many Pros and Cons involved in blogging.

Do you have any advice for other users on Upwork?

If there could be only one thing that I would pass on to other users, it would be to stay positive and not worry about what others are doing. If you love to write and you're reaching your personal goals, be happy and don't allow anyone to take away that happiness.

We want to know at least two fun or interesting things about you Smiley Happy

Aside from writing, I spend a ridiculous amount of time creating digital art. Although I do not (and never will) offer it as a service on UpWork, it is something I absolutely love to do.

I also spend at least 10 hours a week making jewelry. None of it is fancy, but it has become a useful income source to cover extra curricular activities and all of the other "Oh Mom I just have to do this" ideas that my children come up with. As that list can get quite long, I make sure there is a constant flow of jewelry for them to sell to cover their "must do" expenses.

Anything else you want to add?

The notification for this feature post made me choke on my coffee. I certainly wasn't expecting it, but it is a really nice surprise. The community here on UpWork can bring out the best in people. I'm really happy to have had the chance to learn from some of the outstanding people in this community.

Untitled
Community Guru
Pandora H Member Since: May 11, 2010
2 of 10

Now I can officially say: "Congrats!".

Smiley Happy

Ace Contributor
Jody P Member Since: Aug 1, 2017
3 of 10

Congratulations, Kathryn!

I saw mentions of this in Community Discussions but now can see that, as @Pandora pointed out, it's official. 

Thank you for the inspiring words and sharing your freelance knowledge.

Here's to your continued success: may each year bring you happiness, peace, and prosperity.

Best regards,

Jody

Community Guru
Shehan F Member Since: Aug 10, 2015
4 of 10

Congrats Kathryn  Smiley Happy Keep up the good work Smiley Happy

Community Guru
Wendy C Member Since: Aug 24, 2015
5 of 10

Time to start a Coffee Room thread on K's jewelry.  Smiley Happy  And Yah You of the acerbic wit.

Community Guru
Kathryn B Member Since: Jul 22, 2015
6 of 10

Bahahahaha no way Wendy.  It's hard enough to get me to post art in there, let alone actually take pictures of jewelry.  I mean, just ugh.  That's effort doncha know?

And thank you, everyone.  I really am happy to be a part of this (sometimes always dysfunctional) community.  Y'all keep me smiling when I really want to throw things, and that's saying quite a lot.

~I am only here when I can tolerate having my eyes blasted, my privacy treated like a joke, and my temper pushed to it's limit. For all other times, please request alternate contact methods~
Community Guru
Scott B Member Since: Nov 20, 2015
7 of 10

Great write-up. Nice to get to know you better!

Community Guru
Jennifer D Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
8 of 10

Official congrats Kathryn! Always fascinating to get more insight into the people behind the faces Smiley Happy

Community Guru
Kathryn B Member Since: Jul 22, 2015
9 of 10

Thanks, Scott and Jennifer. Smiley Happy

Sorry for being a bit slow, but I seem to be spending more time away from the computer lately.  I'll have to make sure to sort that and get some art posted, as Wendy's suggestion sounds really good right now. Smiley Very Happy

~I am only here when I can tolerate having my eyes blasted, my privacy treated like a joke, and my temper pushed to it's limit. For all other times, please request alternate contact methods~
Community Guru
Ravindra B Member Since: Sep 27, 2015
10 of 10

Congratulations, Kathryn! Smiley Happy

"Certa bonum certamen"