Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Highlighted
Community Manager
1,662 Posts

Featured Contributor Mary W.

[ Edited ]

Let's Celebrate Mary W! As our Featured Contributor for June/July! Bless her heart!

Mary FC.jpeg

• What job category do you work in?
      Legal/ paralegal

• When did you begin using Upwork?

• Tell us a little about yourself and how you got started Freelancing, or running your business online?
      I started freelancing in 2001. I had three longterm, pretty much full time contracts at an outside location provided to me. During Hurricane Katrina, my office got 3 feet of water and everything was destroyed. At that point, I returned to the security of the bricks and mortar world for several years.
      As I got older, I realized that I didn't want to deal with office politics and drama any longer. That's when I discovered Upwork and I haven't looked back.

• What do you enjoy the most/least about working online, Mary?
      I like the freedom to choose my assignments and my working hours. I sometimes miss having co-workers, but not too often. I love being able to travel and work at the same time.

• What was your most successful project/contract?
      Hmmm. That's hard. Each of my contracts is unique. I most enjoy preparing summaries/ chronologies of medical records and pre-trial document review.

• Do you have any advice for other users on Upwork?
      Be patient. Success doesn't come quickly or easily. I am constantly re-writing my profile. Learn everything about the platform before you start working so you don't make rookie mistakes, which can be pretty awful.
      Be very selective about the jobs you consider. Have another source of income or good savings to fall back on in the slow times.
      Don't try freelancing unless you have proven skills and experience. Freelancing is not a place to learn skills, it's a place to demonstrate them.

• We want to know at least two fun or interesting things about you Smiley Happy
      I've had about 5 different careers before I became a paralegal, including real estate sales, retail management, non-profit management and physician recruiting.
      Since I began freelancing, I have also worked as a background actor in about 25 movies, 12 or so TV shows and a couple of commercials. Great fun and a totally different set of skills!

• Anything else you want to add?
      I would like to add that I am years older than most freelancers but Upwork has provided exactly what I need at this time of my life
Untitled
Community Guru
1,323 Posts

Re: Featured Contributor Mary W.

[ Edited ]

Congratulations, Mary. Smiley Happy

Great advice!

ETA: Indeed, you have aged gracefully; the resemblance to your 1970s photo is remarkable!

"Certa bonum certamen"
Community Guru
463 Posts

Love these background profiles of folks I've seen for so long on the forums. Great work, Mary!

Community Guru
1,762 Posts

To paraphrase -

Bless You, Mary

You do us proud.

Community Guru
1,246 Posts

You are one of my favorite people on the forums!  I'm so pleased you were chosen to be highlighted.

Congratulations!

Community Guru
2,389 Posts

Actually, I'm a serial killer who is currently keeping a low profile.  Good job, huh??

Community Guru
1,323 Posts

[ Edited ]

Mary W wrote:

Actually, I'm a serial killer who is currently keeping a low profile.  Good job, huh??

That’s okay; it ain’t against TOS. Smiley Happy

"Certa bonum certamen"
3,429 Posts

Bless your heart, Mary! 

-Avery
Community Guru
1,263 Posts

Yayyyyyyyyyyyyy Mary!

Heart

Community Guru
858 Posts

[ Edited ]

The story says, Mary coming from a legal background has given the advice to remove the first "T" letter from the banner featuring her in the forum to keep everyone safe.

Me coming from the opposite side of the globe can say it without worries: There's something about Mary!

Thank you for being part of this community. It wouldn't be the same at all without you.