cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Free Webinar: Power proposal tips from a six-figure Upworker (Danny Margulies)

tomicak
Tomica K Member Since: Jul 28, 2016
31 of 57

This webinar was by far the worst experience I have had in my overall freelancing career. It was a brilliant pinnacle of amateurism which was helpful solely as an opposite example of how a contractor should behave.

1. The connection was terrible. It kept breaking, and after it would break, I couldn't re-connect for 10-15 minutes. This resulted in me skipping over 80% of the webinar. Thankfully it was later uploaded as a video, but it was nevertheless an unpleasant experience.

2. Danny was not actually interested in doing what he was supposed to. His so-called tips were nothing but a bunch of vague generic statements which he compiled and paraphrased from Upwork's FAQs, and as such would hardly be of any value to any single freelancer who has spent more than 20 minutes browsing the already available Upwork docs. In an attepmt to make us better freelancers, at one point Danny actually tried to make an analogy between freelancing and a skinny guy beating a World record in eating hot dogs! And I'm not even making this stuff up! He actually spent time telling us how freelancers should learn from a skinny guy eating hot dogs! In short, a pathetic and humiliating speech of a fraud.

3. The actual goal of this imposter became obvious quickly enough, when he went on to utilize his 5 minutes of fame to promote his own spam-like newsletter service, which is in no way related to Upwork. In other words, this guy's intention was NOT to provide any useful information, but rather lure as many of the inexperienced attendees as possible to his little wannabe business. Sinking this low was not only indignifying towards trusting Upwork's contractors, but will certainly make a significant negative impact to Upwork's reputation.

4. As the highlight came my direct correspondence with Danny Margulies after this webinar, in which he demonstrated an immensely rude and unprovoked arrogance. Attempting to obviously cover up his ignorance and/or misconduct, Danny refused to answer one single question I had for him, and bypassing my politeness he strait up proved himself as an ill-mannered and irresponsible jerk.

My question was simple: Are you sure that the advices you provide do not go against Upwork's Terms of Service (which forbid freelancers to provide in their proposals any way for the clients to contact them directly, outside of Upwork). Instead of an answer, I got from him an accusation that I am "making big assumptions". After politely repeating my question several times, and getting the same lame reply, to my shock Danny replied that he has removed me from his newsletter.

I am providing a link to the above mentioned thread, because I would appreciate if Upwork moderators would look into it:

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

To conclude, I strongly discourage any and all of my fellow honest freelancers to follow what Danny Margulies asks you to. He has shown with his own example that not only is he incompetent of maintaining a professional rapport, but is actively cheating you for his own interests.

diane62
Diane W Member Since: Jul 29, 2016
32 of 57

Wow Topics, you must have been on a different webinar than I was. My connection was excellent and i learned a lot. At no time did he tell us to violate the upwork terms of service. I'm glad I was able to attend. If you are serious about winning bids, you should definitely watch the recording.

kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
Valeria K Community Manager Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
33 of 57

Hi Tomica,

I am sorry you feel this way about Danny's webinar. I would like to confirm, however, that it's not against Upwork ToS to share contact information in proposals. It's not allowed to provide contact information on freelancer profile but it's okay to include it in proposal.

~ Valeria
Untitled
claudiacezy
Community Guru
Claudia Z Member Since: Jul 28, 2015
34 of 57

@Tomica K wrote:
He actually spent time telling us how freelancers should learn from a skinny guy eating hot dogs!

I agree the tips were weak, common sense or available in the forum, FAQ's ... a webinar for newbies or maybe it's just that easy to become successful, you only need the opportunity.

ahmedbadie
Ahmed B Member Since: Jun 22, 2015
35 of 57

I really enjoyed the webinar it was very beneficial for me, and I am want to listen to it again

rrnarciso
Bobby N Member Since: Jul 31, 2016
36 of 57

Hello!

I was able to log-on to the scheduled Webinar and caught about 5 minutes of Danny's presentation before I was disconnected due to internet-related technical difficulties. Unfortunately, I was able to join the webinar again during the Q&A session already, thus I missed most of what Danny had to say. I was able to watch the subsequent recording so it wasn't really a total loss. In fact, I find a couple of Danny' tips pretty useful and I hope to be able to be more successful in securing more freelance contracts because of them.

If I may, can I pose a follow-up questions to Danny? 

What was Danny's initial engagement as a freelancer and how was he able to successfully secure one given that, in his own words, "he had no college degree and no relevant experience whatsoever"?

I'm interested in Danny's response since I find that clients seem to have very specific requirements when they look for freelancers (e.g. professional skills, actual experience with specific software, working knowledge about certain industries, etc.) and it must be very difficult, if not impossible, for someone without a degree or any experience at all to secure an engagement.

Thank you.

Bobby

danny_margulies
Danny M Member Since: May 14, 2015
37 of 57

Thank you Bobby. My first freelancing job (done right here on Upwork) was writing short chidren's stories from a template provided by the client.

It was relatively easy, since it didn't require any real creativity, creative writing or storytelling skills. The stories were short and all very similar -- they were about a boy who traveled to different tourist destinations and always learned 3 things. So basically I just had to come up with a tourist destination idea (e.g. Grand Canyon), find a few interesting facts about that place, and plug it into the story. An 8th grader could have done it, though I did take good care to make sure I did it as well as possible and the client ended up very happy.

The way I secured that job was by creating what I call a Minimum Viable Portfolio to make up for my lack of experience. It worked wonders and I've now seen the approach work thousands of times for freelancers over the past few years. It's a little lengthy to describe the exact process here, but feel free to google it (add my name to your google search for fastest results) and you'll find a detailed explanation.

jamiewordsmith
Jamie S Member Since: Jul 15, 2016
38 of 57

Hey Danny,

Great talk and good follow up. I gained some new ideas from it and some confidence in ideas that I already use so thanks. I just wanted to ask for your opinion on one thing: I always display my portfolio pieces in situ if I can - often screenshotting web pages etc. - is this a good practice or would another way be better?

Thanks,

Jamie

danny_margulies
Danny M Member Since: May 14, 2015
39 of 57

Hi Jamie, I'm not sure what "in situ" means but don't overthink it. Just put yourself in the client's shoes and give them an easy way to view good examples of your work.

rrnarciso
Bobby N Member Since: Jul 31, 2016
40 of 57
Hi Danny.
Thanks for your reply and, again, for the useful webinar. More power!
Bobby