cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How Often Do You Update Your Profile?

Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
1 of 22

Unlike traditional employees, freelancers always have to keep their skills, portfolio and resumes up-to-date to be successful. Freelancers’ resumes constantly change as they complete more projects and expand their experience. Certainly, new contracts that you complete on Upwork are automatically added to your Work History as soon as they are closed. However, you specifically want to highlight certain accomplishments in your overview. If you master a new skill, get a new certification or complete an impressive project, let your potential clients know about it by adding it to your Upwork profile.

How often do you update your Upwork profile, tweak and revise your overview, and add new items to your portfolio? Do you try to add every new project to your portfolio, or  are you more selective?  Have you ever changed the category you work in and had to re-write your profile completely? Have you noticed whether you receive more invitations after you update your profile?

~ Valeria
Untitled
Community Guru
Douglas Michael M Member Since: May 22, 2015
2 of 22
Hi Valeria,

Since my profile is a client list and a couple of quotes, I only update it when there's some significant addition or replacement in either area.

Best,
Michael
Elena I Member Since: Sep 28, 2015
3 of 22

Hi!

I updated my profile majorly after oDesk became Upwork because I stopped receiving invitations once that happened, and I was receiving all the invitations I could handle on oDesk. I kind of panicked and tried to make my profile as nice as I could. Besides this, I update my profile constantly. I had about 2 weeks in which I tweeked daily the first 4-5 lines of my Overview and I still don't like it completely. I re-organised and changed images in my portfolio a lot too. Thinking back, my oDesk profile was a mess compared to my Upwork profile.

Cheers!

Community Leader
Geomaria G Member Since: Mar 6, 2015
4 of 22

After Odesk became Upwork, I was compelled to revamp my Profile.

Not once. Or twice. Or thrice. 

Now that I think of it, I've lost the track. 

And boy, do I love what I ended up doing! Smiley Very Happy 

Apart from the increased competition after the merger, it was seriously necessary to sit down and redo the profile every twice a day for two weeks until I decided on one that I liked. 

Ideally, I think a freelancer should revamp the site every time a new job skill is added. Usually, this happens after every client, for me. 

Every job is always a learning opportunity and its hard not to take back a brilliant idea, software or style of content that an ex client suggested. 

In short, keep using all the tabs on Upwork regularly and you will love what upwork will sculpt out of you. Smiley Very Happy 

Good luck and Good day!

One doubt though, what is a decent word count for a profile? Smiley Very Happy 

Geo Maria George
Community Guru
Douglas Michael M Member Since: May 22, 2015
5 of 22

@geomaria G wrote:

....One doubt though, what is a decent word count for a profile? Smiley Very Happy 

I prefer to limit myself to however many words fit before the "jump"—i.e., not to require a reader to click through for more content.

Best,

Michael

Jinny M Member Since: Mar 12, 2015
6 of 22

I received a great profile review from Upwork with very useful tips, but I somehow lost it. I've checked my email, my Upwork messages and have found nothing. Does anyone know if there's a way to retrieve that info?

Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
7 of 22

Hi Jinny,

I am glad to hear you found the profile review helpful. I will make sure the team re-sends that message to you. 

~ Valeria
Untitled
8 of 22

Thank you!

Community Guru
Irene B Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
9 of 22

I've taken to streamlining mine more and more, down to the bare bones. As for projects, I only add something that I feel is more relevant to what I do these days. With regards to the WHAT I can do....I have cut that down as well and have removed many of my skills, focussing instead on that which I really enjoy while cutting out that which I am good at and can do well....but would rather not if I can help it.

In essence, I now focus on only that which I do well AND enjoy....To this end, however, there are things I need to remove from my portfolio as I no longer wish to offer my services with regards to them....I'll get around to doing that sometime.

10 of 22

Hi Valerie, 

They didn't send it. Could you ask them again? 

Thanks!

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS