cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: How do you budget your connects for the month?

Community Guru
Joachim M Member Since: Mar 23, 2015
51 of 270

The 60 connects are plenty.

I upgraded to the paid membership because I sometimes use more than the 60 and like the rollover. I probably could manage with the 60 by being more selective about the jobs I bid on. Alas most jobs are small and quickly done. And, I'm not really willing to compromise on price. Hence I need to write more proposals. Clients then tend to stick and give me repeat jobs.

IMHO the connect system ought to be modified:

40-50 connects for the free membership plan

80 connects for the paid membership plan

This would help in reducing the high number of extremely low bids providing a poor quality. 

Community Guru
Julianne G Member Since: Oct 21, 2015
52 of 270

I understand being "new" may be different, but it is rare that I burn all my connects. I'm not sure how many I have, but it's a lot.  Any established freelancer (in my genre, anyway), relies more on referrals, repeat business, and invites than, as Michael refers to it, cold calling.  If you're not, perhaps you are doing something really wrong.

I haven't bid on a job in a while, and even have trouble keeping up with all the necessary declines for all the spammy invitations I get.

Not to be rude, but if you're worried about the perception of spam, you might want to stop with all the incessant emails that a client gets during the hiring process.  I've had a job open for a few days, have hired about three people so far, and I keep getting emails upon emails about "So and So is ready to begin!"  Often it's the very same "so and so".  

It's kind of like when you give some company your email address to get sales notifications or coupons, and you end up getting daily alerts (it would be more wise to send me a couple email a year, so when I get them I'm like... wow... a sale!!! I need something!) that make you want to unsubscribe.

As a client, I want to unsubscribe.  As a provider, I'm nauseated at the thought that my name might repetitively bombard some poor potential client with daily emails that say, "Julianne is ready to begin working!"  It really does suck some legitimacy out of the entire process.

Juli

Highlighted
Hasan H Member Since: Dec 24, 2015
53 of 270

Hello, 

I usually apply for number of jobs in the start when i have some jobs, i apply to the remaining jobs 1 by 1

Ace Contributor
Maggie C Member Since: Jul 20, 2015
54 of 270

When you are new, the connects are not enough. Once you have  a lot of jobs in progress, you tend to slow down on applications. A difference of 10 connects between paid membership and free membership is too little though. I think I agree with the guy who suggested 80 connects for paid membership.

Regards.

Maggie

Community Guru
Andrea B Member Since: Feb 20, 2015
55 of 270

IMHO 60 connects are quite a good amount, now that I'm not a newbye anymore.

But when I started working on here it took a loooooot before getting the first job (and countless wasted applications... luckily the Connects system was not in force yet), so I can understand the frustration of people desperately looking for their first job with reference to the amount of connects.

What I still found unfair is that we need 2 connects regardless of the $ for a specified job. So, I decided not to waste my connects for jobs under (let's say) $20.

Community Guru
Daniel C Member Since: Nov 21, 2010
56 of 270

You have to build a reputation and find clients who keep coming back for more.  When you're new, you are learning and you won't get as many jobs for the connects.  Over time, you will find it easier and easier to get jobs so you end up with a pile of connects.  

Bidding is not something that should be easy, so think about how long you spend on the proposal.  When I started out, I would find a job that I wanted.  Then I would research everything that the mention in the posting-- every single word.  If I knew their company name, then I would research and find out about their business and what they do.  I would try to imagine what their goals are and why they are looking for help.  I had jobs that I would spend 8+ hours just in research and planning before submitting a final proposal.  Now, I spend like 10 minutes, but not when I started out and didn't have any clients.

If you just read the posting and send a list of examples and ask for the job, then you're wasting connects.  

I spend time studying marketing and resume writing so that I can write better proposals.  As a client, you get a bunch of proposals sometimes and only a few are actually any good.  If you really want a job and you spend 10-15 minutes writing a proposal or less, then you're not serious and there are plenty more good candidates for the job.  Looking at the list of candidates, very few of them actually stand out.  It doesn't take much to stand out honestly.

When I can't find work doing what I'm good at or doing what I want, then it's a sign that I don't have marketable skills.  I will find a variation of what I do and learn so that I can be more competitive.  

Again, when I was just starting out, I would go through the lists of jobs that I wanted to get and compile a list of common skills that they ask for.  Then I would make sure that I had those skills.

Why anyone has an expectation that they should be able to just get a bunch of jobs is confusing to me.  Go out and look for a regular job and see how "easy" it is.  It's not easy and you shouldn't expect finding work on Upwork to be easy.  Just put in the time and you will start to gain momentum.  If not, then learn, learn, learn.  Marketing and soft skills are a great place to start not to become a marketer, but just to be able to market yourself properly on the platform. 

It’s not supposed to be easy and if 30 connects is something that seems obviously not like enough then spend some time reflecting and figure out what you can do to change that.  They created the limit specifically to stop the problem of these people who just apply to hundreds of jobs and hope that randomly someone will hire them for the job.  It’s not a numbers game anymore, it’s a talent game now.  Step up your game!

Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
57 of 270

60 connects are more than enough. If someone needs more connects they can get a paid plan. I don't know if you can buy extra connects like it was the case on Elance, if it's not the case, Upwork may consider adding this feature for newcomers.

If you cannot get a single job with 60 connects, it means that you are doing something terribly wrong. Like carpet bombing the board with spam proposals. This spamming technique only lead to frustration, both yours and clients.

The fact that a free account comes with 60 connects is however a problem in my opinion. While I understand the need for free memberships to allow people to test the waters, those should be limited in time. A one or two months of free membership should be enough for new members to evaluate if Upwork suits their needs. After that, Upwork should charge something like $10 for the basic membership plan.

Free memberships and cheap connects only increase the amount of non-professional spammers who hurt this platform more than anything else.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
Community Leader
Simon W Member Since: Mar 7, 2008
58 of 270

@Rene K wrote:

60 connects are more than enough. If someone needs more connects they can get a paid plan. I don't know if you can buy extra connects like it was the case on Elance, if it's not the case, Upwork may consider adding this feature for newcomers.

If you cannot get a single job with 60 connects, it means that you are doing something terribly wrong. Like carpet bombing the board with spam proposals. This spamming technique only lead to frustration, both yours and clients.

The fact that a free account comes with 60 connects is however a problem in my opinion. While I understand the need for free memberships to allow people to test the waters, those should be limited in time. A one or two months of free membership should be enough for new members to evaluate if Upwork suits their needs. After that, Upwork should charge something like $10 for the basic membership plan.

Free memberships and cheap connects only increase the amount of non-professional spammers who hurt this platform more than anything else.

Not read this thread before but I can't believe what I'm reading from you. Don't you think we'd pay enough already when we get very little from them. I refuse to pay them the membership fee because I pay them enough already and I get very little benefit back from them for the money I give them from my fee in exchange.  

If they really wanted to improve the quality of job applicants they wouldn't push people into paying for a pro account but would actually reward people who do well and bill a decent amount to encourage them to stay on the platform longer, give us more connects the more we bill, give us the advanced features such as bid range if we bill over a certain amount and do a more permanant promotion like is going on now to make it more appealing for them best freelancers to look to take on new clients from this platform  

Community Guru
Joachim M Member Since: Mar 23, 2015
59 of 270

@Simon W wrote:

@Rene K wrote:

Not read this thread before but I can't believe what I'm reading from you. Don't you think we'd pay enough already when we get very little from them. I refuse to pay them the membership fee because I pay them enough already and I get very little benefit back from them for the money I give them from my fee in exchange.  

If they really wanted to improve the quality of job applicants they wouldn't push people into paying for a pro account but would actually reward people who do well and bill a decent amount to encourage them to stay on the platform longer, give us more connects the more we bill, give us the advanced features such as bid range if we bill over a certain amount and do a more permanant promotion like is going on now to make it more appealing for them best freelancers to look to take on new clients from this platform  

Simon, it may be different in your area of expertise but I tend to agree with René. I simply can't use all the connects I'm allocated. The reason is there just aren't enough jobs posted that are worthwhile preparing a proposal. The majority of jobs in translation are suitable for low-ballers/bottom feeders only or without deliverables mentioned. I simply won't quote on jobs like this: "I need a translator" and no further details given. Client isn't respecting my time but not providing enough to quote on.

Community Leader
Simon W Member Since: Mar 7, 2008
60 of 270

@Joachim M wrote:

@Simon W wrote:

@Rene K wrote:

Simon, it may be different in your area of expertise but I tend to agree with René. I simply can't use all the connects I'm allocated. The reason is there just aren't enough jobs posted that are worthwhile preparing a proposal. The majority of jobs in translation are suitable for low-ballers/bottom feeders only or without deliverables mentioned. I simply won't quote on jobs like this: "I need a translator" and no further details given. Client isn't respecting my time but not providing enough to quote on.

It wasn't so much the number of connects that I was commenting on though but his idea that everyone should get 2 months free but then after that being forced to pay to keep using the platform. As I said I already refuse to pay for features that used to be free because I already pay enough to them and feel like I largely get nothing back, it's  more like I'm paying to help those who do lowball and put lots of offers in. And the minute we accept being force does to pay the more that's going to go up just as they keep doing with all their costs. As I said if the aim is to help the good freelancers it should be to help us be compettaive against the low ballers rather than increasing our costs largely pricing us out of new jobs