cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do you budget your connects for the month?

Community Guru
Joachim M Member Since: Mar 23, 2015
61 of 261

@Catalin P wrote:

Wow, everybody seems to be doing so well on 30 jo applications per month. Only me, a 3000+ hours freelancer find it hard to cope with this. People quality has been dropping here constantly, web site quality has been plummeting, yet everybody is so happy. GG!

Hi Catalin,

Being a paying member I have 70 connects. 2 or 4 are left each month. Even with this January being my best month ever on Upwork I'm not happy. I'd like to write more proposals but the necessary job postings are lacking.  Why should I even bother to prepare a proposal for a translation being posted at a rate of $0.01 or 0.02? I'd have to offer a 5/3 times higher price. And, as long as clients seem to be happy with the gibberish they receive at that rate... At 1 or 2 Cents per word I'd rather go cleaning that pays 10+ an hour cash without having to bother about taxes.

Okay, I'm aware that many clients don't realise that they buy gibberish at that price until it is too late. They then don't blame themselves for buying to cheap but blame Upwork as a whole. But quality is a problem only Upwork can solve.

Community Guru
Douglas Michael M Member Since: May 22, 2015
62 of 261

@Catalin P wrote:

Wow, everybody seems to be doing so well on 30 jo applications per month. Only me, a 3000+ hours freelancer find it hard to cope with this. People quality has been dropping here constantly, web site quality has been plummeting, yet everybody is so happy. GG!

Catalin,

It's not a question of being happy (with the site) or not. Many of us are vocal critics of the site's many failures and limitations.

However, successful contractors, including perhaps some of your competitors, have been sharing that part of their success comes from selectively targeting the most profitable contracts rather than maximizing the number of proposals. This is a strategy that has proven itself across many fields. I'm sorry you don't seem to think it applies to your business.

Best,

Michael

Ace Contributor
Ona J B Member Since: Jun 23, 2015
63 of 261

When I started out with Upwork (back when it was oDesk, and I also had an eLance membership), I used the scattershot method of application; which is to say, I applied for anything that looked like it was even remotely in my field of expertise. I built my client list until in August of 2012, I found myself seriously over-scheduled with low-paying, grumpy clients. Back then, I might have actually run out of connects -- but the connects might also have kept me out of that situation.

Once I got my schedule cleared off, I became MUCH more selective. If a job will not equal minimum wage, or if it doesn't look like something that I can do well, I don't take it. I hardly ever use all of my connects (and I have only a basic account) because I am doing well with longer assignments and with repeat clients. In fact, there have been some weeks when I closed my account to new clients. 

I use my connects when I have reached a point where my in-basket is looking empty and my Pay-me basket is looking full. 

Misheck C Member Since: Oct 3, 2016
64 of 261

I am a new freelancer and I haven't yet used any connects. Looks like many run out of connects in their early stages.

Community Guru
Joachim M Member Since: Mar 23, 2015
65 of 261

@Misheck C wrote:

I am a new freelancer and I haven't yet used any connects. Looks like many run out of connects in their early stages.

Misheck,

Unlike Michael I do think about connects as in translation we are often talking about quite small jobs. But, like Michael said, limit yourself to those RFPs which fit to your skills and your idea of a budget and you won't run out of connects. As an example the number of jobs with a budget of $5 has increased in the last weeks. I can only assume that many of the posters use it as a placeholder only. Still, if they don't say it, I don't quote and mark the job as "low budget". IMHO if the poster doesn't have the time to either say it's a placeholder or think about a real budget, I just won't fit. Same if the requirements (deliverables) are not clear. Sloppy RFPs are the same level as sloppy proposals, the writer doesn't really care.

Community Guru
66 of 261
Thanks for the reality check, Joachim!

Best,
MM
Community Guru
67 of 261

I never think about connects. I think about what jobs are suitable for my skill set, and which of those I'm suitable for. That's never enough to cause me to count connects.

Rodrigo A Member Since: Oct 12, 2016
68 of 261
Do i have to pay something to get any connects?
Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
69 of 261

Hi Rodrigo,

With the Basic free Membership Plan you get 60 connects a month. If you need more connects, you can upgrade your Membership and start getting 70 connects a month plus an ability to purchase additional connects and rollover connects.

Please, check this article for more information.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Kristiyan K Member Since: Nov 16, 2016
70 of 261

I spend my connects on jobs I am certain I can do without any hassle. What saddens me is that there are "employers" who post a job, then don't hire anyone. The job is not cancelled and the connects are lost. I've probably lost 20 connects on jobs where the user who posted them did not hire anyone, nor did he/she cancel the job. Those connects I could have spent elsewhere, had I known there are incorrect "employers" out there. Now I have 0 connects.

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS