cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inside Upwork: Meet Content Marketing Director Lisa Oda

Community Manager
Lena E Community Manager Member Since: Apr 7, 2015
1 of 3

Lisa Oda is Upwork's Content Marketing Director and the driving force behind our Hiring Headquarters. She was recently featured in a Hiring Headquarter article which we've shared a portion of below.

upwork-lisa-oda1.jpg

Q: What does your typical day look like?

Every day I start early because the remote team is located around the globe and in different time zones. If someone has a question or issue, I can quickly respond so they can move forward with their work.

Next I conduct a quick check of new articles on the Upwork blog and Hiring HQ to make sure each rendered properly with images and links intact. Then it’s off to review new work submitted by freelancers and provide feedback or approvals to keep everything flowing through the content cycle.

But it’s not just about the content or articles! Content marketing requires dedication to enhancing and fixing—constantly—the content management system which, for us, is WordPress. I spend a good chunk of time each week managing the roadmap in collaboration with development: Submitting JIRA tickets, following up on outstanding issues, and making sure the content team is aware of changes to the WordPress platform.

The rest of my time is focused on the bigger picture: How to increase our audience of readers, how to make sure the content we serve up meets the needs of those readers, and how to interest more clients and freelancers in using Upwork!

It’s always a balancing act. If you want a true picture of a content marketer, this infographic sums it up perfectly.

Q: How many freelancers do you work with? What do they do?

We work with about a dozen freelancers who help with writing, image selection, and editing. One of our freelance writers is a top-rated former developer on Upwork—Igor Chishkala—who creates technical articles for the Hiring HQ!

Shout out to: Amy Sept, Carey Wodehouse, Brenda Do, Justin Keenan, Nathan Meunier, Keith Koons, Jenn Marsh, Mina Reimer, Katie Rentzke, Igor Chishkala, and Chris Shiotsu. These guys are simply the BEST.

Q: How does working with freelancers make you more productive?

Because freelancers are primarily focused on project execution, timelines are easier to manage.

Without having to worry about when things get done—and how—I can focus on big picture strategy. Additionally, because the remote team is so awesome, I don’t have to spend a lot of time “finishing” the final product.

To read the full interview with Lisa Oda, check out the Hiring Headquarter article here.

Untitled
Kristopher H Member Since: Aug 17, 2017
2 of 3

Good article! Question, how do we report invitations to interview that seem phishy or outright fake? 

Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
3 of 3

Glad you liked the post, Kristopher.

If you feel like a job you were invited for is suspicious, you can click "Flag as inappropriate" link on the job post to inform the team. They will review and take appropriate actions.

~ Valeria
Untitled
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS