🐈
» Forums » Bulletin Board » Meet our Community Featured Contributor Bill ...
Page options
VladimirG
Community Manager
Community Manager

Meet our Community Featured Contributor Bill H.

Meet our Community Featured Contributor Bill H.

Screen Shot 2018-12-12 at 7.56.28 AM.png

• What job category do you work in?
    Business Consulting

• When did you begin using Upwork?
    Around 2006 as Elance.

• Tell us a little about yourself and how you got started Freelancing, or running your business online?
    I was a gun-for-hire root-cause analysis since 1976. Offline work was word of mouth until I realized I could fill in temporary down periods with online work.

• What do you enjoy the most/least about working online, Bill?
    The chance to learn. For the last 10 years I've limited work to where I can learn.

• What was your most successful project/contract?
    Turning around a small from a $12M loss to a $16M profit in two years.

• Do you have any advice for other users on Upwork?
    Freelancers are business owners agreeing to mutually-beneficial arrangements with other business owners.

• Anything else you want to add? You can also share some fun interesting things about you 🙂
    I've largely ceased consulting for health reasons. It's liberating to know you've got 14-16 months left.  

My focus today is on helping people establish their own businesses to establish socioeconomic mobility. Part of that is a series in a private forum in which I'm encouraging people who do not find fulfillment in working for others to consider a freelancing career. To do so online is, today, a necessity because few people are acknowledged experts AND work for someone else. It is difficult to make that first sale without access to worldwide opportunity. I'm not an expert in Upwork and its processes; I am an expert in freelancing, in which online freelancing boards are prominent but constitute a very small drop in a very large bucket.
~ Vladimir
Upwork
14 REPLIES 14
researchediting
Community Member

Congratulations, Bill, on the recognition.

Seconding Michael's congratulations, Bill.  I doubt if there are more knowledgeable FL/Business people on the platform and your long-term history of mentoring is more than praiseworthy.

ravi_iitian
Community Member

Congratulations, Bill.

"Certa bonum certamen"
fcca14
Community Member

As an accountant it was nice and inspirational to know about your most successful project...

btw, why do you say "you've got 14-16 months left"?

New to the fray: Bill was told he got Alzheimer's. Bill told that to the Community a few years back.
I think it was just about the same number of months they told him then.
Like the proverbial cat, Bill undid death again, who knows if he'll outlast these 14 months again?
We hope he does.

"New to the fray: Bill was told he got Alzheimer's. Bill told that to the Community a few years back."

I have normal pressure hydroephalus, which is a one-way ticket to non-Alzheimer's dementia. I don't believe I"ve ever claimed to have alzheimer's.

Bill H wrote:

"New to the fray: Bill was told he got Alzheimer's. Bill told that to the Community a few years back."

I have normal pressure hydroephalus, which is a one-way ticket to non-Alzheimer's dementia. I don't believe I"ve ever claimed to have alzheimer's.

Oh, I see.

Thanks for the clarification, Bill.

Hello

Well you know when handed lemons I usually try to make lemonade. Then I
write about it, for a learning tool. Apply as a variable factor, with
sensitivity for severity of Alzheimer's. Get better soon. Sincerely Bicycle
Boy.

I'm tracking a number of indicators such as incidents of aphasia, weight loss, how often I get lung infections, etc, and the indicators all cross from "Probably will wake up tomorrow" to "probably wont" next June/July. That's the basis for having 14/16 months left.

f17d4c00
Community Member

Hi Bill,

I loved what I read, very inspiring, I am in Upwork since August, I receive a fair amount of invites but, they never come to fruition, I mean the people who sent me the invites don't reply to my proposal in order to set a meeting or a quick conversation, It happened 8 times in a row now, and I don't know why or how to solve this, the invitations simply don't get converted into jobs. Your help would be very much appreciated. Thank you in advance

Kind Regards

269e5377
Community Member

it is being greate to hear about this. 

Triplicity
a-zbookkeeping
Community Member

Congratulations!

sherri-ann-wrigh
Community Member

Congratulations!

Latest Articles