🐈
» Forums » Bulletin Board » Meet our Community Featured Contributor Jamie...
Page options
VladimirG
Community Manager
Community Manager

Meet our Community Featured Contributor Jamie F.

Meet our Community Featured Contributor Jamie F.

Jamie F.jpg

What job category do you work in?
Content writing

When did you begin using Upwork?

Tell us a little about yourself and how you got started Freelancing, or running your business online?
I'm a Brit living in Thailand and the job market for expats here is very competitive. I had to re-invent myself in order to find work and was considering anything at the time. I applied for a writing job not thinking I had a chance but I ended up getting the job. I later found myself looking for more writing work which is how I found myself on Upwork. What was something to fall back on eventually ended up a new career.

What do you enjoy the most/least about working online, Jamie?
I enjoy being able to work at my own pace. One downside is that I miss office banter.

What was your most successful project/contract?
Oh, difficult one. I had a long-term project finish at the end of last year that made me around 15k. It might even start again later this year. I'm hoping a current contract could help me learn a new skill, which could be a big deal for me.

Do you have any advice for other users on Upwork?
Don't let the occasional set-back knock your confidence; not every contract will go well even for the best freelancers. And don't get too hung up on a 'low' JSS, I speak from experience when I say it can be recovered.

Anything else you want to add? You can also share some fun interesting things about you Smiley Happy
Be open to advice and criticism from the Upwork community. Sure, it can be a viper-pit at times and advice is seldom sugar-coated but this doesn't mean it is not sound. Embracing it, no matter how harsh it might seem, may make the difference between success and failure.

~ Vladimir
Upwork
3 REPLIES 3
kinector
Community Member

Thailand... Smiley Very Happy Howdy, neighbor!

Got enough coconuts on that side of the border? Smiley LOL

chuckepstein
Community Member

How do I  get paid?  Upwork keeps asking for bank verifications, and then they fail to make a deposit of a few cents. Then they say you can get [paid instantly using a bank credit card, but the fine print says the payment would be made in a few days. **Edited for Community Guidelines** How did you stay with them for years?  SO, the question is:  How does a freelancer get their money from Upwork?

Hi Chuck,

You can find out which payment methods are available in your country by going to User Settings > Get Paid. Check out this help article for more info on them. I'm sorry to hear you're having trouble verifying your bank account. I checked and it looks like you added it back in January, could you please check your statement from that month and February to see if you can find the deposits in order to verify? If not, please let me know and I'll be happy to assist you further.

Thanks!

~Andrea
Upwork
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths