🐈
» Forums » Bulletin Board » Meet our Community Featured Contributor Robin...
Page options
VladimirG
Community Manager
Community Manager

Meet our Community Featured Contributor Robin H.

Meet our Community Featured Contributor Robin H.

Robin_Hyman_profile pic.jpg

• What is your first name?
    Robin

• What job category do you work in?
    Content Writing/Copywriting

• When did you begin using Upwork?
    June 2018

• Tell us a little about yourself and how you got started Freelancing, or running your business online?
    After more than a decade moving up the ranks as a digital marketer for a top media company, I was unexpectedly laid off in March 2018. With limited options locally, I skilled up in online courses, earned a few certifications, and took the plunge into the world of freelancing. I found Upwork in a google search, read its resources and threads in the community forum, crafted my profile, and customized proposals. With the help and guidance of colleagues in the community, I had the courage and motivation to apply to job posts until I landed my first gig. It took a few months to fully understand this process and capitalize on all of the benefits.

• What do you enjoy the most/least about working online, Robin?
    I enjoy being my own boss - choosing which projects to apply to, interviewing clients (it goes both ways!), and deciding if I want to accept an offer. Having a flexible work schedule is another huge plus. It also helps that I can work in my pajamas from the comfort of my home.

I miss the daily interaction and water cooler conversations with co-workers. Oh, and health benefits.

• What was your most successful project/contract?
    I've had a few good ones and some are still active. It's an amazing feeling to find a client you connect with and know they will be satisfied with every delivery.

• Do you have any advice for other users on Upwork?
    If you are hesitant to work on a particular project or with a certain client, chances are you will not have a good experience. Trust your instincts. Know your value.

Look for red flags when applying or accepting a new project:
    * What's the client's hiring percentage? (apply if >50%)
    * How many proposals has the job received? (apply if <20)
    * Does the client provide honest feedback to freelancers? How are the client's reviews?
    * Does the client always pay below market value?

Always search the community or ask for help before making a bad decision. While many are blunt, their recommendations are honest, based on years of freelance experience, and are in your best interest.

• Anything else you want to add? You can also share some fun interesting things about you 🙂
    I'm a mom of 2 young girls who is also an elementary school teacher, a chef, and a camp director as my second, third, and fourth full-time jobs since COVID.

To keep whatever sanity I have left, I walk/run 3 miles a day.

And music keeps me going.
~ Vladimir
Upwork
23 REPLIES 23
ravi_iitian
Community Member

Congratulations, Robin!

"Certa bonum certamen"
florydev
Community Member

Congrats Robin!

4c5c8de3
Community Member

hey robin

how are you?

Parth P wrote:

hey robin

how are you?

I couldn't help but lol at this one.

May I assure you that our pep talker in chief turned lead Contributor is doing fabulously well.

Please keep in mind that our Lead Contributor is taken.

Even if she weren't, she wouldn't respond to random DMs either.

Should you have any issues getting started on the Community or need help with anything, please feel free to make a post in that vein.

Fellow freelancers will circle back to provide any assistance they can, but they may or may not include the Lead Contributor.

shehanfernando
Community Member

Congrats Robin 🙂 

chakmarabin
Community Member

Congratulations!

I am also a freelancer at this very site. I do backlink building for niche at other online market places for the last some years. 

Thanks

mdhumayunkabir20
Community Member

Congratulations for great achievement, Robin !

gold-k
Community Member

Congratulations, Robin.

aafiyat-nazar
Community Member

Good transition

kompel-naveen
Community Member

Congratulations Robin Smiley Happy

gpoo123456
Community Member

Congratulation

emonuzzamanmd
Community Member

Congratulations, Robin!

Trying to achieve 3 miles a day!!Smiley Very Happy

riatvarun_kuma19
Community Member

Congrats Robin !!!

mademoise11e
Community Member

Congratulations!

ehandoko213
Community Member

Dear Robin,

Congratulations and thank you for your advice on accepting a new project. It is very valuable information for a new freelancer like me.

d933bb39
Community Member

This is inspiring. Congratulaions, Robin!

6ac7859a
Community Member

Congrats Robin! Very cool insight! Robot Happy

shellymontgomery
Community Member

Congratulations Robin! 

Our stories are similar although I have only been a freelancer since I was laid off unexpectedly a year ago! And yes....music!

benekirapa
Community Member

Congratulations Robin, 

I am yet to achieve your work ethic: it is so inspiring. 

naeembabo
Community Member

hy Robin i need a help your

theerikiu
Community Member

Congratulations, Robin! Your advices are great Heart Hope I get to learn how to use Upwork soon enough!

singhmanmeet0172
Community Member

Awesome Robin

360_dev
Community Member

Congrats robin!

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths