Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Overcoming language barriers

Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
11 of 16

Jennifer, you are absolutely right - but . . . Smiley Wink

It would not be that expensive to implement this - adding all the disclaimers that would exonerate Upwork from any misunderstanding. If Upwork is really the bigshot corporation it claims to be, then it should join the mainstream!

From a practical POV, a lot of freelancers might think twice before assuming that Upwork is an employer, or that it is exploiting freelancers, or that it is some kind of governmental charity - sorry - some sort of global charity!

Community Guru
Wendy C Member Since: Aug 24, 2015
12 of 16

That makes 100+% sense.  Jennifer, you've very successfully put an end to any questions and/or suggestions along these lines. 

IMHO. you must be one of the most organized project managers in existence.

Nichola, you know I luv you ... but U. doesn't and shouldn't care about global charity ... unless it is UNICEF.

Community Guru
13 of 16

@Wendy C wrote:

That makes 100+% sense.  Jennifer, you've very successfully put an end to any questions and/or suggestions along these lines. 

IMHO. you must be one of the most organized project managers in existence.

Nichola, you know I luv you ... but U. doesn't and shouldn't care about global charity ... unless it is UNICEF.

Smiley Happy Wendy, I know (and I agree with Jennifer D) but that was my point. Set up some understandable (to all ) guidelines, and the freelancers who have an overdeveloped sense of entitlement, might realize that Upwork (not just Upwork, any job platform)  is a business not a charity or an employer.

Unfortunately, internet marketspeak sells the product without specifying the underlying pitfalls to people whose English language ability does not comprehend the detail.

Community Guru
Jennifer D Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
14 of 16

Thanks Wendy Smiley Happy Nichola, I'm definitely not disagreeing with you. It would definitely help in a lot of ways. But... There are plenty of questions in the forums from native English speakers also that could easily be answered from the various help resources available. There will definitely always be those "lazyweb" people who just want someone else to answer their question instead of finding the answer. The language barrier of Upwork only being in English will not 100% solve the problem - although I like to think that it would help mitigate it to some extent.

Community Guru
15 of 16

@Jennifer D wrote:

Thanks Wendy Smiley Happy Nichola, I'm definitely not disagreeing with you. It would definitely help in a lot of ways. But... There are plenty of questions in the forums from native English speakers also that could easily be answered from the various help resources available. There will definitely always be those "lazyweb" people who just want someone else to answer their question instead of finding the answer. The language barrier of Upwork only being in English will not 100% solve the problem - although I like to think that it would help mitigate it to some extent.

But, If a newcomer, whose English is basic at best, how will he or she know where to go to access these help resources, and indeed understand them?

Community Guru
Claudia Z Member Since: Jul 28, 2015
16 of 16

The language barrier can be an advantage because you dont have that tendency to make unnecessary conversations but try to keep it short and to the point.

Even if your language proficiency permits to have lenghty conversations, overwhelming the client with unnecessary information can lead to misunderstanding.

If I don't understand something, I ask more details, screenshots, I try to reproduce, visualize.