cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Spotlight on Featured Contributor Jennifer D.

Community Manager
Lena E Community Manager Member Since: Apr 7, 2015
1 of 26

Let's congratulate our Featured Contributor for September, Jennifer D!

Jennifer D.jpeg

What category of jobs do you work in?

Translation

When did you begin working on Upwork?

November 2012

Tell us a little about yourself and how you got started as a freelancer.

The company I work for has websites in over 22 languages. We needed language support and it wasn't practical to have every language in-house. I checked out a few sites and chose oDesk because it seemed to have the most professional freelancers.

What do you enjoy the most/least about freelancing?

It connects me with a global marketplace. Even though Australia is very multicultural, it would be difficult to find every language we need to support locally. Working with so many freelancers from different countries and cultures also opens me up to new ideas. I learn something from my freelancers every day

What was your most successful project/contract?

It's very rare for me to have an *unsuccessful* project! I've been very lucky with the fantastic professionalism of most of the freelancers I've hired. But one does stand out - I needed to find new freelancers for two new languages we wanted to introduce. I did a paid trial with four freelancers for each language to try to find the best fit - but they were *all* great! It was really hard to make the final choice. The quality of the freelancers here is really good.

Do you have any advice for other users on Upwork?

For freelancers, really focus on one key skill and deliver that well. Craft your proposal for each job. It doesn't have to be long. Focus on telling the client what you can do for them. For clients, have reasonable expectations and pay reasonable rates. A global marketplace doesn't mean you can pay peanuts. Pay your freelancers for the value they bring to your project. They're a precious resource.

At least two fun or interesting things about you?

I'm a huge PC gaming nerd, Overwatch being my current game of choice (although I usually favor RPGs). And I'm also a huge book nerd - we recently built a house and had to make sure we had a library. We have nearly 1500 books.

Anything else to add?

The Upwork community has been invaluable to me. There's a huge wealth of knowledge here waiting to be tapped, and everyone is really helpful

Untitled
Community Guru
Katrina B Member Since: Jan 9, 2011
2 of 26

Yayyyyyyy Jennifer.  I was really hoping you would get it soon.  Your advice from a client's perspective is so valuable.   Congrats. 

"Fairness is giving all people the treatment they earn and deserve. It doesn't mean treating everyone alike-Coach John Wooden"
Community Guru
Christy A Member Since: Dec 30, 2015
3 of 26

Awww this is great news.  Congratulations!

Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
4 of 26

Crazy hair people pwn this joint.

We own you Larusos! We own you!

Community Guru
Katrina B Member Since: Jan 9, 2011
5 of 26

@Jennifer M wrote:

Crazy hair people pwn this joint.

We own you Larusos! We own you!

Ain't that right.  I'm coloring my hair red now, and not normal red lololol 

"Fairness is giving all people the treatment they earn and deserve. It doesn't mean treating everyone alike-Coach John Wooden"
Dolly R Member Since: Jun 24, 2015
6 of 26

Congrats Jennifer D!

This widget could not be displayed.
7 of 26
This widget could not be displayed.

Congratulations Jennifer!

Community Manager
Garnor M Community Manager Member Since: Oct 29, 2014
8 of 26

Great bio, thanks Jennifer!

Community Guru
Melissa T Member Since: Dec 5, 2014
9 of 26

YES! This is awesome! Jennifer, your answers are fantastic. I especially like your advice for freelancers and clients. I also happen to think your blue hair is the bees knees! I'm going rainbow again soon, I think. 

Community Guru
Jennifer D Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
10 of 26

Thanks everyone! And kudos to whoever did my featured contributor banner on the homepage, I love it!

My hair isn't actually blue right now, it's red, but I really miss the blue and I'll be going back to it soon I think Smiley Happy It's just so hard to maintain with my natural dark hair Smiley Sad

I was thrilled when Lena asked me to be a featured contributor, because I don't think a client has been featured before? Or at least, not recently, that's for sure. I'm glad that I can contribute something useful because the community has helped me a lot!