cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Spotlight on Featured Contributor John K.

Community Manager
Lena E Community Manager Member Since: Apr 7, 2015
1 of 24

Meet our July Featured Contributor John K! Long overdue, John has been an essential part of this Community! He's contributed over 1,500 posts and received over 3,000 kudos.

JOhn K.jpeg

What job category do you work in?
Web Development

When did you begin using Upwork?
Nov. 2012

Tell us a little about yourself and how you got started Freelancing, or running your business online?
For a long time I had a full-time C++ developer position, until it was outsourced. I then tried my hand at freelance web development, at first specializing in Joomla development, then switching to WordPress. Then sometime later I came across mention of oDesk, and joined. Like most newcomers, it was difficult landing jobs at the beginning but perseverance paid off.

What do you enjoy the most/least about working online?
I'm rather sedentary and not too outgoing, so online work suits me, anyway, but being able to work when & where you choose to do so is a great benefit of freelancing. There are a few things about online work that are less than ideal, but one that comes to mind is that the availability of suitable jobs fluctuates, so at times I have more work than I can handle comfortably and at other times I have time on my hands.

What was your most successful project/contract?
Honestly, I don't know. When you've completed over 200, it's hard to remember them all. So instead, I will say it's been great collaborating with clients who value my services and provide me with new assignments.

Do you have any advice for other users on Upwork?
I wouldn't presume to offer advice to clients, but this may be of benefit to them as well, and my advice is to remember that it's totally impractical to provide high quality work at low cost on a tight schedule. Most successful freelancers realize this, I'm sure, but I hope it benefits a newcomer or 2.

Fun or interesting things about you?
Perhaps it would be of interest that Japanese was my mother tongue, although it's a bit out of practice now, and alas I do not read or write it well so I will not be looking for translation work.

One time I tried out to be a Jeopardy gameshow contestant, and got as far as an audition, but wasn't selected, probably because I was too soft-spoken.

Anything else you want to add?
It's an honor and an embarrassment to be considered a featured contributor. I just want to acknowledge the great contributions others make regularly, especially the moderators. In my opinion, it's high time a moderator was selected for the honor.

Untitled
Community Guru
Natasha R Member Since: Aug 2, 2010
2 of 24

John2cde2f7f19b973a82dacc33f3e6cadb3.gif

5822052936a09af3f9.gif

0c068b5d8d1607c8d40ca36e7d5c2e11.jpg

Community Guru
Melissa T Member Since: Dec 5, 2014
3 of 24

Yay, John!! 

Ace Contributor
Vinod Kumar N Member Since: Jan 12, 2013
4 of 24

Keep going, John!!

Community Leader
Rekha S Member Since: Jul 13, 2015
5 of 24

For John,

Awesome-stinson-meme-generator-we-re-awesome-duh-9134cb.jpg

Community Guru
Douglas Michael M Member Since: May 22, 2015
6 of 24

Well done, well deserved!

Community Guru
Scott B Member Since: Nov 20, 2015
7 of 24

Great feature!

Community Guru
Alexandra H Member Since: Jul 30, 2015
8 of 24

Very interesting and sound advice indeed!

Couldn't find a suitable pic, so this will have to do:

100_0866.JPG

PS: Just applied for a job with sme. requiring up-to-date WordPress skills. Any chance of you giving a tutorial? 

Community Guru
John K Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
9 of 24

@Alexandra H wrote:

Very interesting and sound advice indeed!

Couldn't find a suitable pic, so this will have to do:

100_0866.JPG

PS: Just applied for a job with sme. requiring up-to-date WordPress skills. Any chance of you giving a tutorial? 

Pic is most suitable. A quick tutorial I could manage, perhaps. Feel free to PM me about this.

10 of 24

Congratulations!  Very well deserved.

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS