Re: The sin of doing nothing

Community Guru
Wassim T Member Since: May 29, 2015
11 of 29

Haha. You're always creative, Nichola. 

Community Guru
Dawn L Member Since: Sep 3, 2015
12 of 29

I wasn't complaining! Okay, maybe a little lol.

I do fall into the procrastination slump, mostly when I'm coming back to work (or any other task) after taking an extensive break from it - for instance, every Thanksgiving and Christmas I take a week off to celebrate the holidays. Although a lot of times I have at least some work lined up for the week that I come back before I even go on break, sometimes it's hard to get my mind back on track, back "in the game" so to speak.

There are two things that I've found that have literally helped push me out of procrastination mode - motivation and just "doing it". These two tend to work hand in hand too.

Once I sit down and force myself to get it done, to meet a deadline (either set by my client or a personal deadline that I've set), I can generally break the procrastination mode. Then I become a workaholic. There's no happy medium for me lol. 

While deadlines do tend to motivate me more, enjoying the project is more of a motivation boost for me than anything. I've had gigs that were easy gigs, but not very interesting or challenging enough for me. We all get gigs like this at one point or another; I'm sure. I like to challenge my skills. 

As I mentioned, I take one week off twice a year to celebrate the Thanksgiving and Christmas holidays with my family. Honestly, though, this year during some quiet time during my Christmas holiday, I spent time thinking and planning my business for 2016. It's not "work" that paid, technically, but it was still work-related. After having such a busy December, I had a hard time turning my mind off, so instead of losing that motivation, I focused it on setting goals for myself for 2016 and accomplishing business related tasks that I didn't have time to take care of before. This kept me motivated just enough so that I didn't slip into procrastination mode again at the start of the new year.

So, in summary, I think we have to feel motivated and excited about something in order to break free from procrastination periods. Or, just buckle down and get 'er done and keep the momentum going.

Community Guru
13 of 29

Hey Dawn,

Great tips! Thanks for sharing.

Please note that some people got confused about the kind of procrastination I was talking about. In fact, procrastinating every now and then due to feeling boring or just not in the mood is a very normal act. My message was written for those who are suffering regularly from excessive procrastination that is affecting their work and productivity.

I have just edited my initial post to include the note above. Thanks a bunch my friend.

Best regards,
Wassim

Community Guru
Dawn L Member Since: Sep 3, 2015
14 of 29

@Wassim T wrote:

Hey Dawn,

Great tips! Thanks for sharing.

Please note that some people got confused about the kind of procrastination I was talking about. In fact, procrastinating every now and then due to feeling boring or just not in the mood is a very normal act. My message was written for those who are suffering regularly from excessive procrastination that is affecting their work and productivity.

I have just edited my initial post to include the note above. Thanks a bunch my friend.

Best regards,
Wassim

Ahhh! Well now, I don't recall complaining about excessive procrastination! The only time that really kicks in for me is when it comes to cleaning or doing laundry. Haha!

Even then, that's just when I have to force myself to do it, or it won't get done! But, that doesn't affect my work.

Still, even when that happens, I think a lot of it has to do with lack of motivation - lack of enjoyment in their work. And, honestly, if freelancing gets to that point, then it's really no better than working for someone else at a J.O.B., right? We all began freelancing for different reasons, sure, but one of the perks to being a freelancer is to choose a niche that we're not only good at, but we also enjoy. If we're not enjoying our work, and it's leading to excessive procrastination, then we may as well go back to applying for a B&M job and enjoy the perks of that - like health insurance.

I also think that a reduction in person-to-person interaction may not help the situation much. Let's face it, for the most part, we all work independently. The lack of peer interaction, for some people, can be depressing. When excessive procrastination happens, it's not uncommon for that person to experience symptoms of depression also - in fact, excessive procrastination can even be considered a symptom of depression. 

Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
15 of 29

I'm a terrible procrastinator! Last year I told myself that I would face issues headon instead of putting them off. I've been better but sometimes I put off starting work until 3pm and then I'm working until 9 or 10 at night! Working out in the morning has helped a lot because it gets the blood moving.

For me, it's actually starting everything. Once I get started, I can keep going.

I make deals with myself. lol Do x and then you can do y for a time. lol I swear freelancing has made me crazy. 

Community Guru
Daniel C Member Since: Nov 21, 2010
16 of 29

I need to start setting up a reward system.  That's such a good idea Jennifer!

Hmmm....  I can't think of anything that I want.  System is failing on my already...  Restoring to default procrastination mode.  Robot Frustrated

Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
17 of 29

I think making deals is more crazy than anything else but it works for me. lol  I'm also very non-comfrontational in real life, so when issues occur I tend to put them off until last minute, which is really bad. I'm better hear because it's my livelihood on the line, but things like tax issues or notices from somewhere I put off for weeks. lol

Community Guru
18 of 29

@Jennifer,

For me, OCD + ADHD == Winning Combo!  

I don't know why people think it's so bad.  They just haven't learned how to use them effectively.  It's multi-threading on steroids!  I just have to keep everything clean and in its place or else I just end up cleaning and organizing.  I keep things in labelled boxes so I can only go crazy on work or ideas.  Seriously, we don't evolve these things for them to be useless...  

multi-threading.jpg

FYI:  I'm more like the right-hand side.  It's more efficient if consuming dog food is the goal.  Plus the hungriest threads take priority.  Lean Manufacturing - eliminate waste!

I know what you mean about putting things off.  I always file for a tax extension and then file on the very last day close to midnight.  Then I take it to a tax professional (CPA) to fix in the next 3 years after because I know I paid WAY too much in taxes.

I used to have lots of trouble talking to people and talking on the phone.  So my first job that I went for was at Domino's Pizza where I had to answer the phones.  Now I have meetings pretty regularly where I get lots of practice.  I even was at an event where they were interviewing me on the TV station.  There were 4 other people who were interviewing and they were all super nervous.  One of them even mentioned how comfortable and confident that I looked.  I guess all the Upwork consulting and interviews have paid off!

Community Guru
19 of 29

Daniel, who isn't like the right-hand side? LOL.

Highlighted
Community Guru
20 of 29

Well, I was thinking others would focus on a single bowl at a time instead of switching between 10 bowls in an OCD/ADHD Round Robin.  Cat Tongue

Technically, people can't multi-tasks.  They are operating in series from what I understand.  It's highly ineffective vs. the round-robin approach.

If you notice, I hop on the forum every few minutes, but I also got like 20 other small tasks done inbetween.  Small achievements with a reward.  The forum is just in my rotation...  Smiley LOL