Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Webinar: Beginning Your Freelancer Journey on Upwork

Upwork Staff
Samantha H Upwork Staff Member Since: Dec 10, 2020
1 of 25

Hey everyone,

I’m Samantha, and I host the Upwork onboarding webinars. If you recently attended my “Beginning Your Freelancer Journey on Upwork” webinar, you may have some follow-up questions. It’s a lot of information that we pack into our 1-hour session together and I’m not able to address all your questions in that setting.  I’m here in the forums regularly to check-in on this thread so I can follow-up with you about anything that was discussed during the webinar. 

Let’s continue the conversation! Bring your questions and we’ll keep talking about how to be successful on Upwork - with resources, tips, and ideas on how to land jobs and grow your freelancing business.  

If you haven’t attended “Beginning Your Freelancer Journey on Upwork”, you can register for an upcoming webinar on our Upwork Events page, or view the recorded version of it below. 

In the webinar, we talk about things like:

• How to find and apply for jobs
  • Communicating with clients on the platform
  • Getting paid

We are so excited to have you on the platform and I hope that you continue to feel supported by us as you move forward on your own journey. 

Looking forward to hearing from you!

-Sam

Tony W Member Since: Dec 10, 2020
2 of 25

Is it possible to get a copy of the slides from this webinar?

Upwork Staff
3 of 25

Hey Tony - of course. I've attached them for you here. 

Hope you enjoyed the webinar!

Nelson J Member Since: Oct 29, 2020
4 of 25

Hello, this is the Webiar slide.

Note: I'm not a member of the webinar hosts, I just got the slide when I attended the webinar. I hope it helps.

Daniel D Member Since: Dec 15, 2020
5 of 25

Hello Samantha, I was wondering what the "Interviewing" tag means on a posted job. Is it the number of freelancers being interviewed currently, the number of interviews the client intends to hold, or what exactly?

Kindly see the attached picture for a pointer.

Many thanks.

Goran V Moderator Member Since: Mar 24, 2017
6 of 25

Hi Daniel,

The number you`re referring to represents the number of interviews the client has at the moment. To learn more about Upwork and how it works, check out our resources Here. Thank you.

Untitled
Daniel D Member Since: Dec 15, 2020
7 of 25

Thank you very much

Upwork Staff
8 of 25

Daniel D wrote:

Hello Samantha, I was wondering what the "Interviewing" tag means on a posted job. Is it the number of freelancers being interviewed currently, the number of interviews the client intends to hold, or what exactly?

Kindly see the attached picture for a pointer.

Many thanks.

Hi Daniel,

You were right - it means the client is currently interviewing that number of freelancers. An interview constitues a response to a proposal, so it doesn't always mean that they're going to hire someone if they interview them. I hope that helps!

Amy M Member Since: Jan 12, 2021
9 of 25

Do you think it's worth then using your Connects on bidding if they are interviewing someone?

And THANK YOU for the great info on the webinar.  :-)

Upwork Staff
10 of 25

Amy M wrote:

Do you think it's worth then using your Connects on bidding if they are interviewing someone?

And THANK YOU for the great info on the webinar.  :-)

I think that depends - In my opinion, the entire context of the job status should be taken into consideration. How many proposals did they get? When was the client active last? I think I'd make the decision on whether to send a proposal to them based on a cumulative amount of factors vs just the amount of people they're interviewing. I also don't believe that interviews are the most important factor out of all of them; although they can show that they are interested in a few people, it might not be completely indicative of whether or not they're settled on a hire. They could also be hiring more than one candidate.

Ultimately, I always say that if you feel like it would be a great mutual fit - meaning that you are really excited about the work and you can provide evidence or a detailed expanation of how you've done similar work successfully in the past - go for it! 

ps- thanks for attending the webinar, I'm glad you enjoyed it! :-)