cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: When to raise your rates

Community Leader
Ivan S Member Since: Oct 24, 2015
31 of 40

I think we had a similar discussion somewhere else, but in general I would raise rates when I see a demand for my services. For better or worse, I am currently positioning myself as Mr. Wolf from Pulp Fiction, which effectively means that I can charge whatever is appropriate in specific circumstances. Now, that type of reputation takes a bit of time to develop (it took me about 12 month to do it on Elance, will probably take less on the Upwork). Of course I can only do it because I very solid industry experience.

I guess if one does not have it, he/she should raise once his/her acceptance rate start climbing.  

Community Guru
Maria Marilyn M Member Since: Oct 27, 2010
32 of 40

There are several reasons why you should or at least can justify raising rates. Some of the usual ones include the following (that are applicable within Upwork):

1. You've earned enough experience on the site (6 months, 1 year, and so on).

2. You have acquired a new skill and/or including a certificate you can upload to prove it.

3. You have satisfactory scores on the site (i.e. Top Rated badge).

Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
33 of 40

I just raised mine, and looks like my bills raised theirs.

Association fees went up

AT&T raised their unlimited data access rates

The dog's vet raised theirs

So, I just say "Price increase due to increased costs in doing business ." Sounds like good suit speak.

Ace Contributor
June H Member Since: Nov 29, 2016
34 of 40

What are the mechanics of raising your rates?  Ask the client and they update the existing contract?  Ask for a new contract at your current rates?

Dawn L Member Since: Aug 1, 2018
35 of 40

When I was new to Upwork, (a whopping 13 weeks ago!), I started by pricing myself at what would payout as the lowest discount rate I offered through my current freelance business. I found after receiving several fixed price jobs (that actually translated to more than this amount), AND getting bonuses on top of it, I should raise my rate. I set it at double what the initial hourly rate was. After a couple of weeks and not getting near as much response, It lowered it to right in between - 1-1/2 times the original rate. This brought back the same response I enjoyed as a newbie, and I still get bonuses! A little trial and error is probably the best suggestion I can make. Balance the desired number of responses with the hourly rate.

Ace Contributor
Suzi E Member Since: Nov 19, 2018
36 of 40

Great question. When I started on Upwork, I cut my price by $10 an hour because it was still a good price (I was willing to accept). I wanted to get that first job.

Once I had a couple of five-star reviews and was working close to full time, I raised my rate back up by $10 an hour. Zero pushback from clients.

I think that demand for your services is the primary driver for your rates.

Also, you have to provide something that is better than your competitors. I am a writer, but I'm also a professional marketing coach. I interview my clients for website content and that makes me an easy choice for clients who hate to write. They love to talk about their business instead of writing a draft for me.

I strategize with clients as well as doing the writing, so that has even more value. The website content becomes a strategy in motion.

Think about this: How can you add extra value to your services? How can you stand out from your competitors?

For many freelancers, they do provide "extras" of some kind, but they don't build it into their profile.

When you increase the value (both actual and perceived) to the client, it's a lot easier to raise your rates.

In fact, helping consultants raise their rates is one of my specialties and it's included in my profile. 

Suzi

Catherine S Member Since: Jun 14, 2018
37 of 40

Every few months, I'd double my rate. 

In a year I went from $25 to $100-$125 - But my clients off of UpWork, which initially wasn't many paid $200 per hour, so my goal was to get my Upwork account there. Now, I'm slowly working my way up to higher rates, rather than at the speed I initially worked at.

If you know your value, and offer the best of services the sky is the limit.

Ace Contributor
38 of 40

Great job! Love to hear it. Would love to know more.

Highlighted
Jim G Member Since: Jun 9, 2019
39 of 40

I spent about two years off and on trying to get that first job on Upwork. I thought I needed to lower my rates.

No. There are a lot of factors on why you get a job and why you don't. You position your rate at your experience and quality level (past performance) and stick with those guns. You'll be glad when you get a job at that nice rate you think you deserve (and then nail it).

A videographer/film maker's blog I follow said: "Raise your rates when you have too many people wanting you". 

It makes me sick when I have seen some people have worked one thousand hours at <$3.00!!!!
**edited for Community Guidelines**

What I'm trying to do right now is to validate my value (hourly rate + experience) in my cover letter. I don't think its really working as I'm hitting a dry spell. As an illustrator, I think they want to connect with what you have done in the past that they can see in your portfolio.

To summarize, place good value on yourself, less than the outside world. I think Upwork clients look for cheaper rates vs the outside world. If you are not getting jobs at a decent rate it must be something else - your cover letter, your samples, your direct experience related to the project. And, what, ...many other applicants?

Ace Contributor
40 of 40

I've certainly experienced a slowdown this summer. It is likely seasonal.

I do wish Upwork would position themselves as the Home of Pros and get away from the lowball jobs and lowballing amateurs. 

Has anyone experienced any differences since the newer pricing of connects and spending 6 connects for the more valuable jobs? Will be interesting to see if that makes a difference for the pros.