Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Your input on these forums

Community Manager
Garnor M Community Manager Member Since: Oct 29, 2014
1 of 30

Hi all!

The Community team is considering some changes to the overall structure of our discussion areas here at community.upwork.com. Before making any changes though, we’d like your feedback on the key decisions we’re considering and any other thoughts you might have on how we can make this Community even better.

Take a look at our ideas below and if you have some thoughts on these or other updates that could make your experience better, let us know. Thanks in advance!

----------------------------------------

#1 - Updates to the Official Upwork area:

Proposal - add a new “Community Basics” forum. You'll see where this would reside in the example below in red font.

official upwork.jpg

Why? - We’ve seen this work well on other sites and could help us answer and clarify questions like, “What are the Community Guidelines the team keeps posting about?” “Why do posts get edited?” “What is a Community Guru?” “Why should I kudo?”, etc.

Questions for you - Would this be helpful? Do you find there are aspects of the Community forums that you don’t understand, or would be helpful for new members to know about?

--------------------------------------

#2 - Update to the Community Discussion area

Proposal - Add a “New to Upwork” forum. See where this forum would reside in the example below in red font.

newtoupwork.jpg

Why? - We see a lot of new users, freelancers in particular, come to the Community to post the same questions. We want to be here to answer those, and we know some of you do too. But we also don’t want to clutter our other discussion areas with these repetitive posts. This would give us a centralized place to organize those questions and we can clearly highlight some discussion threads that we will create to specifically answer queries like, “Please check my profile” or “Why am I not able to submit a proposal?”

Questions for you - As a new user, would this be helpful? If you’re an experienced Upworker, would you visit this area to answer questions from new users?

-------------------------------------------------

#3 - Updates to the Job Skill Discussions area

Proposal - Rename the forums and add a “Writers & Translators” area. See the example below in red font.

jobskillrename.jpg

Why? - We see a lot of miscategorized questions coming into the “Admin Support”  category today. We suspect some of this is due to the naming of that area. We also love our Writers & Translators and we know you’ve been asking for an area of your own for some time.

Questions for you - We don’t want to create a “maze” of categories that make it hard for you to find and participate in interesting discussions. Does this set up help/hurt? If you’re a Writer/Translator, would you still participate in the Freelancer/Client area?

---------------------------------------------------

#4 - Updates to the Groups area

Proposal - Rename Country Groups to “Regional Groups.” Move current and new discussions to a regional structure as follows (see screenshot).

groupsreorg.jpg

Why? - We don’t see a lot of activity in all country groups so it makes sense to consolidate some of them. We think this organization can help spur activity while still allowing for some country-specific discussions. For example, a discussion thread about VAT could be started in the Europe group, while a discussion about the best local bank for fastest withdrawals in India could reside in Chennai, India could be held in the Asia Pacific group.

Questions for you - What do you think? Do you find the country groups area useful? Now that we are including all regions, would you use this area to post regional specific topics?

------------------------------------------------------

That's it for now. We expect there may be other items you'd like to see modified and we're open to hearing those as well. Keep in mind, these are the key areas we're reviewing so you may not see everything you want in our next updates. Thanks in advance for your feedback.

-Garnor

Community Guru
Melissa T Member Since: Dec 5, 2014
2 of 30

I like all of those suggestions. I like them A LOT. I also like seeing Jennifer D's sweet blue hair in the screenshot. 

The addition of the Community Basics and New to Upwork proposals are the ones I champion the most because of the utility and immeditate effect they would have. Consolidation of those types of questions in a dedicated area would free up space (and perhaps appetite) for more in-depth or specific questions for the Community as a whole. 

#1) Community Basics - love it

#2) New to Upwork - love it most of all

#3) Job Skills changes - great start. Writers & Translators definitely need a category. This isn't quite the place to start a change like this, but pretty please consider moving Project Management out of Admin Support. It's a woefully miscategorized role. 

#4) Regional Groups - seems like a good idea. Doesn't really affect me too much as a US-based user, but I like it. 

Community Manager
Garnor M Community Manager Member Since: Oct 29, 2014
3 of 30

Thanks Melissa.

Regarding #3, we've heard you on this one and we'll be following up with the team again on the request.

Community Guru
Daniel C Member Since: Nov 21, 2010
4 of 30

Hi Garnor,

Good ideas! 

#1) Community Basics

I like it! You could pin a thread in the 'New to Upwork' with links to Community Basics threads. I think most people might skip that category and go straight for New to Upwork. 

#2) New to Upwork

Yes, I like it a lot! You can also pin a few of the most common newb threads. 

#3) Job Skills Changes

I agree with Melissa. 'Project Management', and what about a 'Business & Sales' category? 

Each of us has to be a project manager, manage our own business, and sell our services. Plus, it would create a space for the forum gurus in each category. 

#4) Regional Groups

I don't have any interests in using Regional Groups. 

Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
5 of 30

Hi Daniel,

Thanks for the feedback. Regarding your second point, we do plan to include a few sticky threads to help the new users.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Kanwal F Member Since: Apr 20, 2015
6 of 30

Hi Garnor,

I really like these suggesstions. 

1. For the community basics: Yes as a new community user everyone have questions regarding how the community forum works. And what are the meaning of different terms. It helps a lot to have a place where people found all answers regarding the forum.

2.  New to upwork: I also like it the most. It prevents having the repetitive post with same questions. And also the new users get their answers instantly. 

3.  Job skill change: The new category names are more clear. And I agreed with Daniel there should be category for Business & Sales. Business and sales are different and distinguish category.  People merge them with writer and translators. I am a business service provider and it hurts a lot when I applied for pro writer, but my category (business ,management consulting, sales & marketing) is not yet included in pro writers.

4. Regional Groups: This don't really makes any difference. But make the place more sychronized.

Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
7 of 30

Hi Kanwal,

Thanks for sharing your insight. Please note that we currently have a limited number of Pro groups but do have plans to expand the program and include one or two other categories.

Community Guru
Pandora H Member Since: May 11, 2010
8 of 30

These update ideas are wonderful!

I have 3 additional comments:

1. Job Skills Area - "Business". And what Melissa said about moving Project Management out of Admin Support.

2. New To Upwork - Needed this for a long time.

3. Pinned Threads  - need more then what is here right now for the proposed new areas.

Community Guru
Natasha R Member Since: Aug 2, 2010
9 of 30

#1) Community Basics

Great! 

#2) New to Upwork

Great! 

#3) Job Skills Changes

Will we ever get back the Feedback forum?

#4) Regional Groups

No interest at all. I think they should be eliminated, you even said there is not a lot of activity.

Community Guru
Wendy C Member Since: Aug 24, 2015
10 of 30

#1) Community Basics - Great!

#2) New to Upwork - Fantabulous; much needed; can't wait for implementation!

#3) Job Skill changes - TU on Writers/Translators; full agreement on taking PM out of Admin + ecohing Melissa and Daniel reasoning.

#4) Regional groups - doesn't impact me so any comments would be extraneous other than why keep them at all if inactive?

YES on increasing stickied threads on Basics and New.

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS