Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Your input on these forums

Community Manager
Garnor M Community Manager Member Since: Oct 29, 2014
11 of 30

@Natasha R wrote:

#3) Job Skills Changes

Will we ever get back the Feedback forum?

Thanks Natasha!

In response to your question here, the answer is "probably not." We don't have any immediate plans to bring back the Feedback forum. We continue to see much of what used to be posted there now added to our Announcement threads or directly to the Freelancer and Client areas. 

Community Guru
Mary W Member Since: Nov 10, 2014
12 of 30

Definitely "yes" to 1 and 2.  Three and four don't really affect me.

Community Guru
Jennifer D Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
13 of 30

Some great ideas, Garnor, and thanks for immortalising my blue hair Smiley Wink

#1 and #2 are definitely great ideas and I will certainly spend time in those forums to help out newbies. For #3, adding a "Writers & Translators" group would also be great from my point of view as a translation client. For #4, the problem I have with an "Asia Pacific" group is that I expect it will really be an "India and SEA" group. Which is fine. But it won't help me find other Aussies or Kiwis (I don't think there's many around anyway, but I'm not sure the group would help find the ones that are).

I think it would also be useful for each discussion area to have a brief 1-sentence blurb explaining what each area is for, especially if you are adding more. We already see, for example, freelancers posting in the client area because they want an answer from clients.

Community Manager
Garnor M Community Manager Member Since: Oct 29, 2014
14 of 30

@Jennifer D wrote:

I think it would also be useful for each discussion area to have a brief 1-sentence blurb explaining what each area is for, especially if you are adding more. We already see, for example, freelancers posting in the client area because they want an answer from clients.

Thanks for the feedback Jennifer.  Today, we have a brief descriptor for the forum sections, as you'll see below. But, we don't have one for each "forum", i.e.  IT&Programming, Admin Support, Design&Multimedia, etc. which I think is what you're getting at. We can explore ways to highlight the differences in these areas.

CatDescriptions.jpg

Community Guru
Melissa T Member Since: Dec 5, 2014
15 of 30

Honestly, I don't know how much good more visible labels would do. People repeatedly try to push open doors with big signs that say "USE OTHER DOOR" on them. If folks aren't reading the labels now I'm not sure they'd read them if they were more prominent. Leading horses to water and all that... 

Community Guru
Jennifer D Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
16 of 30

@Garnor M wrote:

@Jennifer D wrote:

Thanks for the feedback Jennifer.  Today, we have a brief descriptor for the forum sections, as you'll see below. But, we don't have one for each "forum", i.e.  IT&Programming, Admin Support, Design&Multimedia, etc. which I think is what you're getting at. We can explore ways to highlight the differences in these areas.

CatDescriptions.jpg

Garnor, I've never noticed those because I actually *never* go to that top-level page. I navigate between boards solely with the side navigation. So I actually didn't even realise those blurbs existed. And they're not present on the individual boards, which is more where you need them I think. Although as Melissa pointed out, they might not be that useful anyway...

Community Guru
Virginia F Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
17 of 30

I don't think giving dedicated forums to writers (or any other category) will change participation in other forums. We all chime in on each other's categories (sometimes that's helpful, sometimes not). That said, it would be nice to have the option to direct someone to the proper experts if they're asking questions about a writing job and don't take the time to find the right forum to post their questions.

Of course some problems are the same across the board, regardless of categories (as in the recent post about client feedback badgering). That's where #1 is a good idea.

"New to Upwork" is a great idea, but it needs to be highlighted in a big way (see color suggestion below). And of course we'd visit that area to be of help ... as we do now.

I know this will sound stupid, but I've always felt the "Official Upwork" sidebar is too homogenous. I'd like to suggest making headings stand out from each other by using a color(s) other than Upwork green - it would help differentiate everything ... because now they just all blend in together. Make main headings more like the "Top Kudoed Members" - larger, bolder, a different color. 

ETA: Melissa is right ... people don't pay attention ... that's where using different/larger font sizes and colors could help.

Community Guru
Melissa T Member Since: Dec 5, 2014
18 of 30

Virginia, I dig your color idea. 

Community Guru
Virginia F Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
19 of 30

Thank you Melissa - I feel stupid about it now, but it was quite awhile before I noticed there was a Job Skills Discussions section. All those headings just blend in with one another.

It's nice that the top kudoed members get a nod, but I'm not sure that list should be where it is or the names be the same size and color as the main headings above. That doesn't make sense to me (all due respect to your name in that list!).

Community Guru
Setu M Member Since: Jan 26, 2014
20 of 30

@Garnor

They sound like all good ideas, but too much compartmentalization can lead to less involvement.

Speaking for myself, community involvement would then be limited to interests. Questions may end up getting less attention than hoped, just dues to more areas to browse.

I believe a lot may go unseen, which is contrary to what you are trying to accomplish.

---- easy like Sunday morning ----