🐈
» Groups » Designers & Creatives » Forum » I'm a layout artist and the Client wants me a...
Page options
irene-mabilin
Community Member

I'm a layout artist and the Client wants me also to proofread

I’m a layout artist for 20 years, but new here in Upwork, My first job is to do the design and layout in book form. When I sent the finished file to the client, she sent it back because according to her “there are some texts missing.” (The doc. file she sent me was originally copied from PDF.)  So she asked me to relayout the project, and so I did. I sent it again and still have comments with the layout. She’s even saying unkind words already. 😞 What she wants is for me to proofread the text, word per word. Isn’t the process is, I do the layout, they proofread it, then tell me or email me the corrections, then I will enter the corrections, and send it back to them? Please, need your advise in this kind of situation. According to the contract, the fixed rate is $10.00, 5.5 x 8.5, almost 200 pages. Thank you very much!

3 REPLIES 3
lysis10
Community Member

Sometimes, clients think you're supposed to do things that are not part of the process. I've had to tell clients that I'm not an editor and as the writer, I shouldn't be editing my work anyway. They should hire an editor for my stuff because I can't promise perfect grammar.

If I understand you, they are complaining about your spelling or something like that? That's really odd. Proofing and design are completely different. I would just tell her that your bid was for formatting the layout and that your proposal did not include proofing text. 

irene-mabilin
Community Member

Thank you, Jennifer!

First, I hope this is the last $10, 200-page book you do.

Second, always include a statement in your bid that reads something like this: "My bid assumes client will provide well-proofed copy". And at the end of your bid a sentence stating that the client is responsible for final, careful proofing before you prepare the file for print.

Considering what this client is paying, it doesn't surprise me that she is a PITA - frankly, you might want to consider ending the contract.

Edited to add, if your contract says nothing about being their writer and proofreader, you just need to state this to her in as nice as way as possible.