🐈
» Groups » Designers & Creatives » Forum » 3d modeling&CAD Category
Page options
3linap
Community Member

3d modeling&CAD Category

Hello everyone,

My name is Elina and I'm a CAD/CAM designer.

I was wondering if I'm the only one searching 3d Modeling&CAD under Design&Creative section.. 

It's clear why it's under Engineering&Architecture but there's also creative and artistic 3d modeling. It's a bit confusing sometimes to choose a category to fit my skills, portfolio projects, especially for a specialized profile.

Looking forward to comments and suggestions!

Thank you.

Elina P.

13 REPLIES 13
sgortyal
Community Member

Hey Elina,

I think 3D modelling & cad jobs more inclined towards engineering, like designing tools, machines, plan designs. Under profile settings, it is under engineering& architecture so there is no option other than choosing it. 

Also there is no such sub category as creative 3D modelling. But you can search for particular jobs in designs & creative section. And thanks for asking this question, I got a new info because of this. I used autocad only for Civil engg designs layout, plans  & architecture. After visiting your profile, I got to know we can create artistic 3D models with cad softwares. Your work is amazing, the 3d work gives feeling of liveness. I would learn these cad/ cam softs for artistic works, Thanks! Be creative!

lasithiroshan
Community Member

Hello.

. Elina... the same proble to me also.. there is no catacory. firstly i put it that   Engineering&Architecture.but we needed  3D Cad/Cam Jewellery Designer catogory. 

Thanks

Lasith iroshan

Agree! I guess I am on the other side of things. I’m an architect so I only do 3D modeling for buildings and interiors. But I get a lot of jewelry and character modeling in my job feed which has nothing to do with my skills. These jobs should not be under engineering/architecture.

Andrea and all,

I would not expect this change to happen anytime soon so what you can do is build a category saved search.  You select the categories you want and then put in negative keywords of things you don't want to see.

For example I pick out the categories I am interested in software development but because I don't do wordpress I put in -wordpress, then save the search (it's called Tech No Wordpress), looks like this:

Capture.PNG

This does two things for you, one it gives you a category search you can click on that filters out any job that mentions the negative terms.  Two it helps refine your My Feed (and your country specific feed if you have one).  

Your My Feed is made up of an amalgamation of all your saved searches.  It is definitely worth your time working on your searches to get that feed like you want it.

My only caution is you may miss some projects by doing this but it is better than searching through stuff you don't want.

d7927eca
Community Member

Hello mam I'm Santhosh from India
00437a6e
Community Member

Elina P wrote:

Hello everyone,

My name is Elina and I'm a CAD/CAM designer.

I was wondering if I'm the only one searching 3d Modeling&CAD under Design&Creative section.. 

It's clear why it's under Engineering&Architecture but there's also creative and artistic 3d models. It's a bit confusing sometimes to choose a category to fit my skills, portfolio projects, especially for a specialized profile.

Thank you.

Elina P.

Hi Elina

Could you tell me what solution you chose in this situation? I also have encountered this problem and am now having trouble finding the right category for me. Please share your experience, as this issue is very important to me right now.

3linap
Community Member

Hello James. Firstly, I apologize for the huge delayed response...

Truth is I haven't found any solution since nothing has changed. Below you'll see how my profile is set. It's the closest I can get.. though these skills don't really suit me 🤷‍

3linap_0-1690128409959.png

I'm counting on my saved searches regarding job posts.. The issue is when the client searches for a freelancer with those 'missing' skills, as well as the invitations I get are mostly irrelevant and out of my specialties.

Best,

Elina.

jordanthekid
Community Member

Honestly I have 2 filters for the video editing jobs I take, that pretty much covers everything - About 1/4th of the work in my feed is for 3D creatives of some sort.

Refine by "motion" or "motion design" - that's sure to segment out what you need!

4084ece7
Community Member

Hello everyone,

I was going to open a new topic for this issue when I saw this topic. Let's relaunch this discussion. 

There are 3 main types of 3D modeling;

1-Mechanical

2-Architectural

3-Animation

All of them are under one category and as Elina P. says "it's a bit confusing sometimes to choose a category to fit my skillsportfolio projects, especially for a specialized profile."

I think this category could be updated.

pjcad3d
Community Member

Hi,

I agree with you Kerem.

Is there any way we could suggest Upwork to create new categories?

4084ece7
Community Member

Hi,

It seems there are not many people who are interested in this situation 😁

6fbb0200
Community Member

Hello, how can I help you with your 3ds model?

Welcome to upwork, we are glad having you here and for your offer