🐈
» Groups » Designers & Creatives » Forum » Re: Are we beeing hired to be treated like th...
Page options
kimm90
Community Member

Are we beeing hired to be treated like the client desires?

How far are we going to stretch with a client and last minute changes or how the graphic assignments changes or expands during a job?
I’ve had 2 recent jobs now 1 where the files where I was supposed to work out from where bad set up and the client told me to fix their error and start over (after doing a ton of images) where i just ended up killing the contract after working almost 9 hours on the task.
And another one where the client keeps sending examples that I recreate but in the time it takes me to finalize the client has a new idea or tell me that I need to do something different.
In this particular case I was also asked to finalize the book in a PDF ready for sale and prepare the whole book for PDF and paperback showcasing while the proposal said "design of book cover".
My general fear in this case is a bad review for not doing as the client want and i certainly feel abused as a freelancer as i am rather new here and don’t charge a lot for the initial tasks i am asked to do.
Any advice on how to deal with this kind of people?
I really appreciate the opportunity to work through upwork but in some cases I feel the clients are having way too much power over freelancers considering that ratings from these kind of people do affect an overall rating on this page.

Kim

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
wlyonsatl
Community Member

Hi, Kim.

Your success on Upwork will be almost as much about what you do before agreeing to a contract with a new client as it does with the work you do to complete the contract.

Always be sure you fully understand what the client wants done. Review all existing work that the client says needs improvement or enhancement by you and be specific in the final product you expect to deliver to the client. Agree to any deadlines or milestones only if you know you can meet or beat them - and then meet or beat them.

If the client adds new requirements to your work plan after the contract has started, decide immediately whether the additional workload is acceptable to you and whether you will require additional compensation for doing this new work. (It's usually a good idea to do a little extra work at no addiional charge - tell the client how much you like working with them and how happy you are to throw in a little extra. And then say "no" if they make a second request for even more free work from you.)

And, finally, for hourly projects NEVER agree to submit manual time. Track everything you do using TimeTracker, adding short notations of what you are doing that even a total stranger would understand.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
wlyonsatl
Community Member

Hi, Kim.

Your success on Upwork will be almost as much about what you do before agreeing to a contract with a new client as it does with the work you do to complete the contract.

Always be sure you fully understand what the client wants done. Review all existing work that the client says needs improvement or enhancement by you and be specific in the final product you expect to deliver to the client. Agree to any deadlines or milestones only if you know you can meet or beat them - and then meet or beat them.

If the client adds new requirements to your work plan after the contract has started, decide immediately whether the additional workload is acceptable to you and whether you will require additional compensation for doing this new work. (It's usually a good idea to do a little extra work at no addiional charge - tell the client how much you like working with them and how happy you are to throw in a little extra. And then say "no" if they make a second request for even more free work from you.)

And, finally, for hourly projects NEVER agree to submit manual time. Track everything you do using TimeTracker, adding short notations of what you are doing that even a total stranger would understand.