🐈
» Groups » Designers & Creatives » Forum » Attach design concept in proposal?
Page options
harismustofa
Community Member

Attach design concept in proposal?

Hi everyone. I am wondering, there are many clients on upwork posting job and in their job post they specify logo name, slogan, style, etc. Is it okay to send proposal to them with design concept they want? Is this kind of spec work? Because that client not guarantee to hire us even if we designed logo for them

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
zoomconcepts
Community Member

Huge no. Doing it voluntarily is just... well. Let's just call it spec work. If the client asks for it in the job post, report it as asking for free work. This is not 99d*****s. 

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
zoomconcepts
Community Member

Huge no. Doing it voluntarily is just... well. Let's just call it spec work. If the client asks for it in the job post, report it as asking for free work. This is not 99d*****s. 

leolandi
Community Member

I have a different opinion actually, a few minutes of work could really help you get more noticed by the client. It really depends on what you're doing at the moment and how important is the job for you.

It's not about the 'few minutes of work' - it's about the professional principle and the context of the marketplace we're doing business through. While I have 0 problems doing a quick sketch to demonstrate an idea, or even a few rough digital drafts for a big pitch, this isn't what the OP's talking about. He's talking about sending exactly what the client has described - finished - on a platform where the majority of clients are looking for the cheapest passable alternative. One is a calculated investment of time, the other is flinging your work into the void, hoping to get paid. And the latter ruins the field for everyone because it teaches a lot of clients to expect free work. 

@Leonardo L wrote:
I have a different opinion actually, a few minutes of work could really help you get more noticed by the client. It really depends on what you're doing at the moment and how important is the job for you.

Tolerance of SPEC work will slowly kill the industry.

zacgman
Community Member

Don't do spec work. Asking for free work isn't allowed on Upwork, and will slowly kill the marketplace. Theres nothing to stop a client from looking at your spec and running with it without hiring you.

silw
Community Member

If I am a client and a freelancer sends me free work that guy has a 100% to not get hired by me.

Not only is he sending me the subconscious message that he is so desperate that he is doing work for free,

also he sends me the message that he values his own work-time, work-power and knowledge he brings into those 2 minutes of work close to "zero".

Maybe you can get the attention by some unprofessional clients that don't value work-time, have no idea how your work process works and just want to have as many benefits for themselves as possible.

But do you want such clients?