Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Client Not Communicating

Highlighted
Community Guru
Virginia F Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
11 of 16

Jennifer P wrote:

I have a client that I have been working on a logo with for a while- he has been responsive, friendly- happy overall. After our last revisions, he was going to show his team in December and then he stopped responding. I forgot to have him put in his last milestone payment. He finally said he would and did last week. But he hasn't said when he will return with feedback or final resolution with the project. I find this incredably rude and frustrating to drag on a project with no communication. It has been 1 month 1/2 with no info. I am looking for any advice from other designers that have been in this situation. How did you move the project forward or towards finality?

Design work requires a different workflow than the kinds of things that Preston (and others) mention. For the most part, all design work, and especially logos, require a fair amount of back and forth with a client, so it just doesn't work in the same way as other categories might.

I usually only do one milestone, and require that it be fully-funded before I start work. Even if i set up more than one milestone, that first milestone has to be fully-funded. The client can then release part of the money, and the balance moves to the next milestone.

Clients drag their feet sometimes ... Dec./Jan. holidays usually set things back. It's part of freelancing that's a PITA, but not much you can do about it. I would craft a professional message asking the client where things are with feedback, and letting them know you would like to wrap this up by month's end or sooner if possible. If there is no response, I would finalize the last file and upload to the contract page and and hit the "get paid" button. At that point, they'll have 14 days to respond ... hopefully that will get them to get a move on.

Highlighted
Ma Aurea W Member Since: Jan 7, 2019
12 of 16

I also have the same problem with my client, which the project started last December. While giving the instructions, the client is nice and communicative. After he gave all the instructions I never heard anything from him anymore yet  I was able to submit the design but my mistake was I didn't turned on the manual time tracker while I was doing the design. After submitting the design and asking for his thoughts about it, he didn't sent any reply, so thought of waiting. after a month I followed up again, he replied but seems he's not aware that we have currently working on a design. and again no response.

Until now we haven't ended the contract which I'm thinking of ending it, but afraid that it might give a back reflection to my profile. 

Btw this was my 1st job until now.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
13 of 16

Ma Aurea:

What you described is a situation in which you made a mistake by not logging time properly.

The client did not violate any Upwork rules. Clients are NOT obligated to respond to freelancers.

When we use Upwork properly, we log our time and we get paid automatically. Whether a client responds or does anything at all has nothing to do with whether or not we get paid.

You said the client gave you all the instructions, and that you were able to do the work.

If that is the case, and if the client is not giving you any further instructions, you should not feel any urgency about this contract.

If it was me, personally, I would send him one more message:

"Henry:

Thank you again for the opportunity to work on this project. At this point the work you asked me to do is done and I don't see any remaining requests or questions. If there is anything else you need, please let me know. Otherwise, you could close the contract and that will help avoid any confusion about whether or not any other work is needed, and that will prevent any additional billing on the contract."

Highlighted
14 of 16

Yes I admit that it was my fault by not logging the time properly,

"Clients are NOT obligated to respond to freelancers." I make sure I'll keep this in mind.

My concern was I wanted for the contract to end, which I was confuse if I will be the one who should end it. But since you have shared your thoughts on how you will handle the situation, I will apply this to my client. 

Thanks!

Rea

Highlighted
Victor A Member Since: Apr 14, 2017
15 of 16

if a client responds or not is up to them, and nothing to do about it, sad, happened to me ALOT of times, what i do in those cases is to just close the contract myself you want to do it because if the contract is innactive for too much time it will start lowering your succes % as far as i know.

aside,

you can avoid writting a review if you dont want their possible review to appear on your profile

Highlighted
16 of 16

Sorry to hear that Victor, I was also wondering maybe that's one reason I'm not getting any job. The Job is still in progress. Anyway, I'll end the contract myself. 

Thanks for the info.

Rea

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS