🐈
» Groups » Designers & Creatives » Forum » Client asking for initial concepts
Page options
finchcreatives
Community Member

Client asking for initial concepts

I'm new on Upwork and recently I sent out a proposal for logo design and I got a message. The client asked me to give 3 initial concepts to which I agreed but I haven't sent any concepts yet because I am not hired by the client. Now I would like to know if I should send him any designs or should I ask him to hire me first? 

To mention, the client does not have his payment method verified. The client is authentic as he has his profile picture uploaded. 

Kindly advise on what step should I take next?

5 REPLIES 5
elyannie
Community Member

Hi Waseem,

Welcome! Is the project fixed rate or hourly? You should discuss with your client what the expectations of the project are-- explain what deliverables you will be submitting (are they digital files, will they be illustrator editable files, etc), when are due dates, how many revisions you will include, how much you will be paid for the job. Discussing these types of things is usually done as part of the interview process. If it's a fixed rate job you can break up the project into milestones. For example, the first milestone could be for the 3 initial concepts, but it's up to you to organize how you break up the milestones for the project. When you both are in agreement for the terms you have discussed in the messages chat the client will need to send you the official offer for the job. This will look like a message from the client and next to the client name it will say "CLIENT NAME: sent an offer" At this point you still have time to further discuss the project expectations and make sure you have all the info you need to get started. You can accept the offer and then start working on the project. Submit the work to the client when the work is ready. 

JoanneP

Hi Waseem,

If the client is requesting for some work samples, you can include this on your proposal, or through messaging while you are discussing the project details. However, if the client wants you to submit a test work, the client can create a fixed-price contract for that, so you get paid for the work you submitted. Thank you!

~ Joanne
Upwork
eddic_sg
Community Member

Personally, I never work on any projects until I am hired. Spec work is not something I have ever done in my over 20 years in the visual communications field. Have done projects for record labels, billion dollar corporations, and small companies and not once have I been asked for spec work. It's always better to provide sample work in your proposals. If the client is adamant that they want to see designs of their project before they will hire you, find another client unless you truly know they will compensate you for your time. Your time is valuable.

kbadeau
Community Member

A lot of clients do that to get free work. They'll get three concepts from each person they interview and then they don't pay or hire anyone. You can tell those kinds of clients by seeing how many proposals they've gotten, how many interviews they are conducting, and how many invites they may have sent.

Even if you're just going to spend an hour on initial concepts, don't do it without a contract in place. Don't ever provide free work. 🙂

cutterji
Community Member

Waseem K  On two occasions I was asked for "free samples"  One I was smart on.  The 1st employer asked for two and I submitted one.  I got that job.  The other offered $15 for a 50 sec animation that I did a wonderful job on but did not get hired.  It was not unitl I contaced customer support that the client replied to my multiple messages.  My advise...be careful.  And repeating someone elses advice...draft a "free sample" contract.  I did not do that on the second "opportunity".