🐈
» Groups » Designers & Creatives » Forum » Re: Clients who want to know how many hours y...
Page options
sourceprouk
Community Member

Clients who want to know how many hours you will spend on a job

Many clients want to pay on an hourly basis but then ask you exactly how many hours you will spend on a job. Is this 'cheating' to avoid making milestones payments in a fixed price job?

In my view, somebody who wants to know the hourly rate and the exact number of hours (they can also limit the number of hours on the hourly job control panel) should be making a contract for a fixed fee, agree on milestones payments and paying the full amount into escrow for each milestone.

I usually tell them that, if they want an hourly job, I am only giving them the approximate number of hours, if they want the exact number of hours, then they have to go for the fixed price job. These 'clients' usually go away as there is always a cheapo who will do what they client wants.

What do you say to them?

5 REPLIES 5
ahammed_farid
Community Member

same thing happened with me,, Client asked me how many hours i need to complete this job, I said first week 35 hours then I need more 20 hours and also 15 hours for review if everything is fine or not.

Client replied he will give me 35 hours only. I said impossible,

you are right actually, if the hours is limit then it's something like fixed type

if you can't finish the job within the time iimit then have to work without money

that's insane

sourceprouk
Community Member

When you are quoting for a fixed price job, you have to give yourself a contingency, and add it to the price, or you end up paying for the job and not the client.

I generally provide clients with two estimates if they ask for quotes and estimates. (Many don't ask.)

I estimate how long a certain task will take. I can tell them:

"I estimate it will take me 4 hours to do this."

If they want a fixed-price quote, then I multiple the number of hours by my hourly rate, and double that, and provide the result as my fixed-price quote.

Fixed-Price Quote = (Number of Hours) X (Hourly Rate) X 2

lomen_jan
Community Member

I have similar problem with illustration. I usually tell them that the more detail they want it will pile up my hours. Then i show them some of my work and tell them how much i spent on them. They are usually super into detailed work, but they can't really afford it. Usually they are polite and say that their budget is tight, but I have also experienced torrent of insults because of my price. So, keep it vague a bit, show them similar work (if you are allowed, best is to show them from your portfolio) and say "It took me x hours to make this", show something much more simple and say "This took me less, like y hours". It is up to client and his budget how much time it going to take.

@Jan L wrote:

They are usually super into detailed work, but they can't really afford it. Usually they are polite and say that their budget is tight, 

Has there ever been a client who has not said they want top quality work but they are on a tight budget?

I will try it myself, I will go to the nearest BMW showroom and tell them I want a top of the range car but that I am on a tight budget, see what they say.