🐈
» Groups » Designers & Creatives » Forum » Re: Do you have to meet ALL the client's stan...
Page options
cobra427so
Community Member

Do you have to meet ALL the client's standards to bid?

Hi Folks,

I'm wondering if I can still send a proposal to a client project if I don't meet all of his requirements.. ie: I'm new on Upwork and havn't billed enough or have a success rate percentage yet. What I DO have, is 25+ years experience in-agency, and freelance, with hundreds of projects under my belt and clients that range from local, to recognized name-brand Fortune 500.

Does my experience or client list account for anything in that regard? Will a client considerat that? 

Thanks for the input,

Jeff B.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
prestonhunter
Community Member

re: "Do you have to meet ALL the client's standards to bid?"

No.

All proposals are provided to the client.

If you don't meet a certain "criteria," there might be a flag. It might go lower on the list. But your proposal will still be provided to the client.

Keep in mind that many yof these "criteria" are simply factor default settings, that the client herself never set or even noticed.

So if you see "requirements" for a certain number of hours or a certain amount of earnings, you CAN ignore those requirements.

The "JSS Score" requirement is a great example of this. That is a default setting, and I bet most clients don't care about that at all. Of course you should ignore it, especially if you're just starting out and don't even have a JSS yet.

I think the only exception to this is "US Only" and "UK Only" jobs... which won't let freelancers send proposals to if they're not from the designated area.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
prestonhunter
Community Member

re: "Do you have to meet ALL the client's standards to bid?"

No.

All proposals are provided to the client.

If you don't meet a certain "criteria," there might be a flag. It might go lower on the list. But your proposal will still be provided to the client.

Keep in mind that many yof these "criteria" are simply factor default settings, that the client herself never set or even noticed.

So if you see "requirements" for a certain number of hours or a certain amount of earnings, you CAN ignore those requirements.

The "JSS Score" requirement is a great example of this. That is a default setting, and I bet most clients don't care about that at all. Of course you should ignore it, especially if you're just starting out and don't even have a JSS yet.

I think the only exception to this is "US Only" and "UK Only" jobs... which won't let freelancers send proposals to if they're not from the designated area.

Thank you so much for the reply, very helpful.

Regards,

Jeff B

kbadeau
Community Member

I was in the same boat when I first started here and I DID address some of the things, like "I don't have xx amount of hours on Upwork but I worked for an agency for 20+ years" and I also was really picky with which jobs I applied to and super creative with my proposals. I'd start with something really memorable so it wasn't just another "Hello. I am a graphic designer. I can help you with your project" proposal.

Looking at your profile, knowing only the first few lines show up when a client views a list of freelancers, I would move the bit about Fortune 500 companies and years of experience to the top, then the same second paragraph, and then the first paragraph. Most graphic designers on here are going to have those same print skills, so that doesn't necessarily set you apart from the pack. You want to tell the client why they should hire YOU specifically.

re: "I'd start with something really memorable..."

Screen Shot 2019-12-05 at 12.56.29 PM.png

Preston H wrote:

re: "I'd start with something really memorable..."

Screen Shot 2019-12-05 at 12.56.29 PM.png

lol mine was more like when I was applying to design a children's book, I wrote the proposal as if it were a fairy tale, starting with "Once upon a time, there was a super creative graphic designer..." or something like that.

Love that idea, I will implement that, asap.

Thanks!

Jeff B.

41a731ac
Community Member

I am redy for this work iam ready to change my life plus my comunity