🐈
» Groups » Designers & Creatives » Forum » Re: Feedback
Page options
mattia-montuoro
Community Member

Feedback

Hello,

I have been on UpWork for quite some time but I am not getting the results I was hoping. So far, out of dozens of proposals sent out, I got hired only once. 

I am a Senior Art Director with experience in broadcast (video production/motion graphics), print (catalogues, ads, flyers), web (websites, blogs, banners), photography (photo retouching, manipulation, shooting, color correction) and social media (graphic assets for FB, IG and Twitter). I have included a demo reel, and other samples under my profile.

When I reply to job posts I know I am qualified for,  I answered by giving job specific responses, and samples, but yet, I get no replies or job offers. Could someone review my profile and tell me if I am doing anything wrong? Or could you please give me any feedback on how I could improve my hiring stats?

Thank you for your help,

Mattia

7 REPLIES 7
janinehirsch
Community Member

It's possible that your hourly rate may scare some clients. But when you are searching for work, use filters to find those that are willing to pay expert prices. If you are sending proposals to those only looking for the lowest price, you might be losing the bid.

Thank you. I do apply to posts that are looking for experts, but I can see how $30/h could be seeing as too high. Maybe I'll lower it and see what happens.

It was a usefull tip.

atreglia
Community Member

Hi Mattia,

I've never remarked on a profile before, but something in yours prompted me to respond. 

You just posted you do photo retouching, manipulation, shooting and color correction (I do too, which is what made me look at your profile).  However, your profile does not state that.  So, if I were looking for someone to photoshop an image, I would not select you for that reason.  To me, your profile, which is well written and professional, appears to be more on the administrative side of creativity.  Not sure, but I think it's too broad - needs to be more specific.  That's just what popped out at me - I'm certainly no expert in profiles, trust me.

Also, my rate is $30/hr, and for photoshopping, that is the rate that works best for me.  It's matches my skill set (which is near expert), high enough to attract serious clients, but not high enough to scare them away.

Just my two cents  🙂

AnnaMarie

Hi AnnaMarie,

Thank you for taking the time to reply, I appreciate it. Photography and photo manipulation/retouching is one of several services I offer. I see what you mean though and, although I have photoshop samples under my portfolio, I made some changes to my profile to explain a little more about that. 

I guess the frustration is that I have experience in many areas of the creative spectrum and have samples to show, but it has been very hard to find jobs. When I submit a proposal, I also include extra portfolio samples that are specific to that project, i.e. video production. I attach my demo reel or other video work I did. Or logo design - additional logo design samples.

I really like the UpWork platform and how it is set up, and hopefully I will be able to find work in the near future.

Thanks again,

Mattia

I am asking this straight: Why is a two times Emmy Award winner charging 25$/hour and not something between 170-350$/hour?

That is a very good question, wouldn't that be awesome!

First off, those would not be accurate hourly rates, and secondly because no one on UpWork would pay that kind of money! I started with a higher hourly rate, but had to reduce it to get jobs and, sadly, I still think it is too high. I am still new to UpWork and, although I submitted dozens of proposals, I have been hired once.