🐈
» Groups » Designers & Creatives » Forum » How do you feel about branded samples before ...
Page options
robynalexhynes
Community Member

How do you feel about branded samples before hiring?

I had someone who seemed like they were incredibly interested in hiring me, but asked that I come up with some samples using their company fonts & colors just to see what I was capable of. I'm sure this is usual, but I spent a long time on the samples and then the client decided that they didn't want to hire me... It's just frustrating to do good work and then not be rewarded in any way for it. 

What are your thoughts on this? To do, or not to do going forward?

4 REPLIES 4
hfspeegle
Community Member

Hi Robyn,

In my opinion, such branded samples fall under free work, which is not allowed on Upwork. I don't know your clients intentions, but unscrupulous clients will use such tactics to get free work out of freelancer and avoid paying for a job. It's a common scam and an infuriating one.

If a client is truly interested in evaluating your ability before hiring you, they can do so from your portfolio. I'm a medical writer, not a designer, but I often encounter clients who want to see samples of my work in their niche. For example, the client might manufacture joint prostheses. I won't write a sample article for them, but I can show them some of my previous work on rheumatology or orthopedic surgery topics.

In short, beware of clients asking for samples to their specifications. They're likely looking for free work and have no intention of hiring you - or anyone.

All the best to you.

jeupereira
Community Member

Hi Robyn,

Your portfolio should be enough for a client to hire you. These samples are nothing more than unpaid work: Do you go to a restaurant and ask for samples before ordering? Doesn't make any sense. And I know that sometimes we are eager to land a project (because we need the money, or is exciting, etc) but please remember to value your work and your time.

hope it helps

It is unethical and unprofessional for any client to make a request like this without setting up a contract and paying the freelancer.

mthornton-cpc
Community Member

@Robyn H wrote:

I had someone who seemed like they were incredibly interested in hiring me, but asked that I come up with some samples using their company fonts & colors just to see what I was capable of. I'm sure this is usual, but I spent a long time on the samples and then the client decided that they didn't want to hire me... It's just frustrating to do good work and then not be rewarded in any way for it. 

What are your thoughts on this? To do, or not to do going forward?

It's only usual for unethical scammers who want free work. Asking for free work violates the ToS. Asking for free work while buttering up the freelancer is how they do it. They got your work and didn't pay you for it. I hope you didn't deliver source files or anything better than a watermarked jpg. I'd be checking to make sure they're not using your work without paying for it if I were you.

In another thread today there was discussion of a client who wanted rough sketches before hiring. Nope. That client can setup a fully funded milestone or authorize an hour or so of work in order for a freelancer to make samples, rough sketches, or whatever the initial work amounts to. Don't do free work. This was a hard lesson to learn, but now you won't sell yourself short like that again.