🐈
» Groups » Designers & Creatives » Forum » Re: How is my portfolio?
Page options
davisjini
Community Member

How long does it usually take to get hired?

I have joined Upwork recently and have submitted at least 20 proposals, the past two weeks. Is there something wrong with my profile or proposals? I want to start making some money as soon as I can.

How long does it usually take to get your proposal accepted? I only have gotten a scam message me.

I'm just frustrated.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I think I got a job in my first week but it was for like 50 bucks and I wrote a super creative proposal to get it. As Yuris said the trick is to find something you have a good chance of landing. For me it was a hockey mascot, and I happen to be passionate about hockey.

Then my second gig was a children's book, which I had done lots of in the real world. Again my proposal was creative: "Once upon a time there was a book designer named Kelly..."

Again I did it for way less than I would charge in the "real world" to get some finished gigs on Upwork and work towards top rated status.

There are tons of jobs for t-shirts. Sometimes just being quick to respond will land you a down and dirty gig to get your feet wet.

For your portfolio, I understand wanting to show how you improved on a design, but to me I thought you had done those bad first designs. I think I would just eliminate them here. Clients will not spend time going through the breakdown of a project. And include samples when you apply to jobs. And make sure there is no link to any outside portofolios; that's against the TOS. 🙂

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
poppyh
Community Member

Hi Jini,

It can get very frustrating, for sure! My field is in translation. I started on Upwork eight years ago, when it was Odesk. It took me almost four months to get my first gig. It was so upsetting, sending in proposal after proposal, and getting nowhere. But, just like makeup, success in getting gigs on this platform is buildable. I kept moving forward and, looking back, I got a ton of work.

Keep trying. Stay positive.

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Jini, 

When I was freelancing, it took me about six to eight months before I had my first project. Keep in mind that you're not only competiting with freelancers in your country, you're competing with freelancers in the same industry from all over the world. You have to be able to catch your client's attention just through your profile title, and overview. 

I would definitely recommend that you edit your overview, and make it more about your client - what's in it for them, and how can you help them with their project? 

I highly recommend that you read up on the freelancer resources we have compiled, for great tips and insights on how you can work successfully on the platform. Please don’t forget to read the Safety First! section of the resources, and these tips for avoiding questionable jobs for more information about working safely through Upwork.

I hope this helps. Good luck!

~ Avery
Upwork
meigiarto-yuris
Community Member

i get hired in my first week in upwork. i will give some advise to you.

1.first be choosy to what project you propose. choose project that you have relatively better chance to accepted.

2 do not force it. just do your best and let it land.

hope it help

Thanks 

I think I got a job in my first week but it was for like 50 bucks and I wrote a super creative proposal to get it. As Yuris said the trick is to find something you have a good chance of landing. For me it was a hockey mascot, and I happen to be passionate about hockey.

Then my second gig was a children's book, which I had done lots of in the real world. Again my proposal was creative: "Once upon a time there was a book designer named Kelly..."

Again I did it for way less than I would charge in the "real world" to get some finished gigs on Upwork and work towards top rated status.

There are tons of jobs for t-shirts. Sometimes just being quick to respond will land you a down and dirty gig to get your feet wet.

For your portfolio, I understand wanting to show how you improved on a design, but to me I thought you had done those bad first designs. I think I would just eliminate them here. Clients will not spend time going through the breakdown of a project. And include samples when you apply to jobs. And make sure there is no link to any outside portofolios; that's against the TOS. 🙂

davisjini
Community Member

I want to know if my porfolio is strong enough to compete among other designers.

I feel it's pretty weak as I compare myself to other print designers here on Upwork. 

I am working on projects to strengthen it as I speak, but I would like other designers opinions/input.

Do you have any projects from school? You don't have to say who the client was or any of that stuff; people just want to get a sense of your style.

Before I landed my first cookbook gig I used to send a sample of a personal cookbook I was working on, just so people could get an idea.

Ok thanks! I changed out all my case study tempates and kept it a classic template.

Jini,

Be aware that it is against Upwork's TOS to include a link to a personal website if there is a way to contact you from that website.

I took out all the links to my porfolio site and put the companies/organization's instead. 
Do you have any insight on improving my porfolio section on Upwork?

yes your porfolio is strong but you need to share more certifications .

shah_soban
Community Member

Dear Jini, I am also at the same level but defference between you and me is of the days. I just got my profile approved my upwork team 2 days ago and now i am on. Hopefully we both will get work soon. 🙂