🐈
» Groups » Designers & Creatives » Forum » Re: How to describe what I want
Page options
resultsassoc
Community Member

How to describe what I want

I have fewer visual skills than an average amoeba. I want a graphic artist to convert pictures I will identify to a single style (pencil sketch, cartoon, dont know the term) using existing software and then arrange them into a single grouping that will serve as an e-book cover. I will use the individual sketches also as covers for individual novellas on each character.

I don't want people to waste time and connects in guessing what I'm after, so how to do I ask this in a job post?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
vsalinitro
Community Member

Hi Bill, if I understood correctly, what you are looking for is an illustrator.

I would suggest adding some reference images to the job post regarding the style you are looking for and some regarding the theme of these illustrations.

I think this should set you on the right path to finding some suitable applicants.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
vsalinitro
Community Member

Hi Bill, if I understood correctly, what you are looking for is an illustrator.

I would suggest adding some reference images to the job post regarding the style you are looking for and some regarding the theme of these illustrations.

I think this should set you on the right path to finding some suitable applicants.

kbadeau
Community Member

That actually sounds like a pretty good description to me, but I would definitely agree that the best thing to do is attach samples that are similar in style if you can. It doesn't *have* to be an illustrator, because Photoshop can do magic things. Comic strip/cartoon style would be vastly different to me from pencil sketch.

Kelly B wrote:

It doesn't *have* to be an illustrator, because Photoshop can do magic things. 

It can, but up to a certain point, I think that asking for an illustrator gives a better opportunity in finding someone with hand-drawing skills, which in my opinion are a must for any kind of sketch or comic style illustration.

The most important thing though is to give references for the styles you are looking for, personally I hate when I see a job post stating "absolute creative freedom" and tend to avoid those kinds of jobs.

Valerio S wrote:

The most important thing though is to give references for the styles you are looking for, personally I hate when I see a job post stating "absolute creative freedom" and tend to avoid those kinds of jobs.

Valerio, I think you should add that one to the Project Code Words thread. It usually carries a set of unspoken expectations (like "make me something I'll really love, even though I won't know what that is until you've made it and I realize that I don't like what you've done").

Renata S wrote:

make me something I'll really love, even though I won't know what that is until you've made it and I realize that I don't like what you've done

Ahahahahahah, that's exactly my point word by word!

I'll definitely add it to the list!

mtngigi
Community Member

Bill H wrote:

I have fewer visual skills than an average amoeba. I want a graphic artist to convert pictures I will identify to a single style (pencil sketch, cartoon, dont know the term) using existing software and then arrange them into a single grouping that will serve as an e-book cover. I will use the individual sketches also as covers for individual novellas on each character.

I don't want people to waste time and connects in guessing what I'm after, so how to do I ask this in a job post?

I know you've received other answers Bill, but since you mention you already have pictures (I assume they're photographs?), and that you want them converted, it doesn't sound like you need an illustrator, but rather someone who knows how to apply Photoshop filters to acheive any numer of effects. Pencil sketch, posterize, watercolor ... there are lots to choose from.

So IMHO, you should make it clear that you will be supplying images (if I"m reading your question correctly), and you need a Photoshop guru to convert them all to the same style of your choice. A "single grouping" could mean a collage, or that all images are placed into the same size and type of frame and arranged in a grid.

That's how I'm understanding your query, so that's my 2¢.