🐈
» Groups » Designers & Creatives » Forum » Re: How to get my first order?
Page options
kashaan-khawaja
Community Member

How to get my first order?

Hi

I am new to upwork and I have been submitting proposals to and fro but I am still waiting for someone to buy from me.

I don't see what is it that is not right so I have decided to ask others for their advice on landing that first order, here on upwork.

My niche(s) are Animation, Script Writing, and Graphic Design.

7 REPLIES 7
martina_plaschka
Community Member

Hi, 

your profile is very sparse. Tell people more about yourself and how you can specifically help them. And keep it absolutely, 100% error free! Spacing and capitalization is not always correct, as far as I can tell. 

HI I am new here join this platform , I am waiting for job but still not receive any single order please tell what can I do for getting orders.

mthornton-cpc
Community Member

You don't need to tell people in your profile overview that you're new to freelancing. If you're capable of doing the work you're selling that's what counts. Saying you're new lets people know they're taking a chance on you if they hire you. 

spencer_c
Community Member

It might be the cover letter in your proposals. I'm no expert but I usually say something like 

"Hello, my name is Spencer and I have been doing retouching and photo-manipulation for 7 years professionally. I would love to help you with your product images! I understand the requirements for Amazon product images and have attached a couple before-and-after images for you to take a look at. I'm fast, detailed, and experienced. If everything sounds good and you like what I do then let's talk details. I hope to hear from you soon!

Sincerely,

Spencer C."

Basically only highlight good things about yourself, how you can help with their specific needs, and be nice and friendly. No one needs to know you are new to freelancing, if you have the skills to back you up then you can take any job. 

It did take me around a week to get my first job here but over time you learn to apply to jobs that look like they are legit or something you know you can do an amazing job with. Just keep applying and keep updating your portfolio

mrchii
Community Member

Use that free time to make test and show the world your skills before you do the test study a little bit, believe me, they will ask you very random questions and also every time you send a proposal make your client feel like a rockstar.

it took me 6 days to spend all my connects
12 days to get a response
and like 16 or 18 days to land my very first job and since that it feels like some kind of magic just touch my account, since that moment I have been landing jobs every week.

Well to me, your profile does not pass the smell test.  Yoy say you are a chemical engineer, yet want to work in motion graphics - animation at $3/hr.

syntagm
Community Member

Speaking from experience here are three things you should do:

1. Read the advice provided and implement.

2, Keep improving your profile and your proposals.

3, Never never give up. Then go back to 1 above and....