🐈
» Groups » Designers & Creatives » Forum » Re: ILLUSTRATION SKILLS
Page options
2850939a
Community Member

ILLUSTRATION SKILLS

DO MY DRAWINGS MEET THE REQUIREMENTS OF AN ILLUSTRATOR FREELANCE ?

7 REPLIES 7
stencil_media
Community Member

I've seen a hell of a lot worse, so there's no doubt that you can draw. There's a bit more to it than that though. Can you do digital work, on Photoshop or in Illustrator? The percentage of clients who will want physical drawings rather than digital versions is very low.

And there's not really an Upwork standard, it's all about what standard the client is looking for, so you need to find work that suits your skills and promote yourself to the clients. 

"Welcome, humans. I'm ready for you!"
- Box, Logan's Run (1976)

THANK YOU FOR YOUR QUICK ANSWER ! MAYBE MY DRAWINGS ARE SUITABLE FOR BOOKS OR SHIRTS .

zoomconcepts
Community Member

There are no requirements for being an illustrator. If you can sell something you've drawn, congrats, you're a freelance illustrator. 

Why are you yelling though?

mariawicz5
Community Member

First of, don't use all caps as it seems as though you're yelling. Secondly, the sketches aren't bad; however, you can't really gauge your illustration skills from these 2 rough sketches. Do some internet research on active freelancing illustrators to get a good sense of what the jobs usually entail.

rodelitodeleon
Community Member

Not bad. You can try looking for a storyboard artist projects. If you're not using computer for a digital media, just make sure to clarify that part. There are still some clients who accepts such hand sketch for a storyboard. Although not too many. Goodluck.

Is a start, but they are unfinished and need more work. I personally dislike the use of carbon paper as main tool in a creative work, or something that reminds me to a carbon paper processed work. Is easy to copy a photo, but is not easy to copy well a photo; understanding the structure and filtering only the important information. If you are starting my advice would be: DON'T do it. A trained eye can spot this, and is annoying. Try to draw always from the real world.

Remember that working over photos can lead to bad habits, make your work lifeless and "3D-less", and could bite you and your client with a lot of copyright issues. This is a trap that must be avoid if you work as freelancer.

You need try to be more confident with your strokes and keep the work fresh. Too much work can be bad also. Keep working, lose yourself, and put an eye on the shadows.

hariz1203
Community Member

Hi Odea,

I dont know why you're yelling ( all Caps) but to add all the answer here (which all is good suggestions and can get you better to draw).

My answer is, Present your drawing as good as possible! I mean it doesn't matter how skilled you are but when you present your drawing on the back of an already printed paper unless you're an artist and the crappy paper is a part of your art concept, there will be not many people that will respect it. 

Also if you plan to give your client your works, unless you mail it physically you need to find the best way to make it digital, maybe to takea picture of it in the best light possible or the best way scan it. Then you may need to learn abit more about digital image processing.

I think that's all you need to get a headstart. Good luck