🐈
» Groups » Designers & Creatives » Forum » Re: Illustration Job Pricing Advice
Page options
pablo_zamora
Community Member

Illustration Job Pricing Advice

Hey there,

I have a client that wants a to have a Christmas sweater image redrawn and replicated just as it is, and offers $5 for it. Please see the image attached.

Considering the amount of details it contains and that the image has not so good resolution as to clearly identify them, especially the smaller and slight details (like the smaller snowflakes), it would either take extra work to do them or I'd rather have to use my artfulness to make ones that approximate the original concept. Anyhow, it would mean extra work on it.

Therefore my question is, based on your experience, how much would you consider to be a fair price for a job like this?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
zoomconcepts
Community Member

We can't know how fast you work. Estimate the time it will take you to replicate, add extra for the skill factor and charge that. Me, I'd charge the fixed-price equivalent of two hours, to leave wiggle room for changes. Make sure they understand you'll need to improvise a bit on the smaller details that are mangled by the knitted pattern overlay. 

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
prestonhunter
Community Member

I looked at the attached image of the sweater.

I believe a fair price would be as much as the market will bear.

If you are willing to do this job for $5.00, then the the client should pay you $5.00 for doing so.

Budget aside, that is one ugly sweater, but to each their own.

We can't know how fast you work. Estimate the time it will take you to replicate, add extra for the skill factor and charge that. Me, I'd charge the fixed-price equivalent of two hours, to leave wiggle room for changes. Make sure they understand you'll need to improvise a bit on the smaller details that are mangled by the knitted pattern overlay. 

@Bojana D wrote:

Sounds good! I was not sure how to find the balance between the budget proposed by the client and the working hours it could take me.

I am quite fast working in vector illustrations and have a keen sense for detail, yet I use to find ways to do stuff more easily.

It would be quite fair to propose a fixed price for 2-3 hours, I believe it would be quite enough for me to get the task done, and I definitely will remark on the smaller details.

Thank you Bojana! Smiley Very Happy

silw
Community Member

My first question would be if he has legal ownership of the design, if so, why he hasn't got the original source files anymore, and if he has no ownership of the designs, why he wants to rob the design from someone else.

replicating an already existing design,  (if there are no relevant technical difficulties) always pays low, since there is no creativity or design involved.

don't know. 50$ maybe if u can get it done in half an hour.

personally, I wouldn't consider doing it, for the mentioned possibility of plagiarism.

@Aron H wrote:

My first question would be if he has legal ownership of the design, if so, why he hasn't got the original source files anymore, and if he has no ownership of the designs, why he wants to rob the design from someone else.

replicating an already existing design,  (if there are no relevant technical difficulties) always pays low, since there is no creativity or design involved.

don't know. 50$ maybe if u can get it done in half an hour.

personally, I wouldn't consider doing it, for the mentioned possibility of plagiarism.

You have a good point there, that he doesn't has the original files might infer he is not the owner.

And it's true, the only technical difficulties would be to replicate the small and not very defined details, as it cannot be done exactly to the pixel.

I see, $50 sounds good but quite far from his original bid of $5, I may discuss these aforementioned matters with him then.

I really appreciate your input Aron!

The last questions I'd ask are:

Do you want to work with clients that rate your work worth less a burger-menu at MCDonalds?

Why do you rate your own work worth less than a burger-menu at MCDonalds?

@Aron H wrote:

The last questions I'd ask are:

Do you want to work with clients that rate your work worth less a burger-menu at MCDonalds?

Why do you rate your own work worth less than a burger-menu at MCDonalds?

Man did is so true, it cracked me up xD

One definitely has to both value their work and aspire for deals that are worth it. In this case the project shall be charged for the worked hours value rather than a minimum fixed price.

I will take this into account to further negotiate it with the guy since he has 10+ projects like this to be done, so I am quite interested in following with it.

f9c10d9d
Community Member

Bro, you get what you and client agreed on previously, i dont think its a big deal. There is a proper way to claim fee if client dont pay what he agreed.