cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Immoral minimum wages

Highlighted
Christopher C Member Since: Oct 3, 2020
1 of 9
Why is Upwork supporting ads and making money off ads that are considered under the legal minimum working wage in UK. Any why are people posting them. Whether it is illegal or not it is immoral. I will be leaving Upwork, this kind of behaviour makes me sick to my stomach. Whoever is the owner should be ashamed of themselves, but I guess they are shameless anyway.
Highlighted
Luiggi R Moderator Member Since: Jul 3, 2020
2 of 9

Hi Christopher,

Can you please share which ads you're referring to so we can look into it further?

Thank you.

~ Luiggi

Untitled
Highlighted
3 of 9
Hi Luiggi,

Can’t you see yourself, it’s your company? Why do you need me to go looking for you?

Regards,
Chris
Highlighted
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
4 of 9

You think that allowing freelancers the opportunity to choose certain levels of payment is immoral?

Some people think that restricting people's freedom and establishing minimum wages or minimum rates of pay is immoral.

There are some countries, including in Europe, which have no minimum wage. Some of the world's wealthiest and most prosperous counties have no minimum wage.

How do we know that it isn't setting a minimum wage which is the immoral action, rather than setting minimums which are too low?

Highlighted
5 of 9
Do you really believe the absolute nonsense you are saying? So you want to work for $4 per hour?

Some people are desperate for work and this type of behaviour is only making them feel of less worth than they are because Upwork is enabling this behaviour.
Highlighted
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
6 of 9

Christopher C wrote:
Why is Upwork supporting ads and making money off ads that are considered under the legal minimum working wage in UK. 

Because Upwork is a global platform. 

Christopher C wrote:
Any why are people posting them.

Because Upwork is a global platform? Your idea of a low rate is likely different to the idea of a low rate for someone in whose country the minimum wage is $ 0.20 an hour or less.

Luiggi R wrote:

Can you please share which ads you're referring to so we can look into it further?

He means job posts with rates that don't suit him.

Highlighted
7 of 9
These ads I refer to are posted as ‘only in the uk’

8 of 9
Wow, do you all work for Upwork, talking about corporate hostility.
Highlighted
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
9 of 9

Christopher wrote:
Wow, do you all work for Upwork

No. Only Luiggi does, hence his "Employee" badge.

talking about corporate hostility.

Really, the only hostility seems to be coming from you....

Simply move past the job posts that don't suit your own circumstances and concentrate on those that do. You may also want to not restrict yourself to UK only clients. You'd be filtering out good opportunities if you only look at UK-only.

So you want to work for $4 per hour?

No, and I dont. I bid on projects that suit me at the price/rate I want for doing the job. This may be several times the stated budget.