🐈
» Groups » Designers & Creatives » Forum » Insurance for Freelance Engineers/Product Des...
Page options
lavery_mike
Community Member

Insurance for Freelance Engineers/Product Designers?

Hello Upwork community,

I am a mechanical engineer and industrial designer looking to start doing freelance product design/Solidworks projects via Upwork. I've scoured this forum, and the internet, and I am still having one hell of a time finding professional liability insurance to cover me. The second I mention mechanical engineering, or any sort of mass produced consumer product, agents are confused or tell me no. Even agencies advertising policies that seem to be exactly what I need have been no help.

To get to my point, what are freelance engineers/designers/Solidworks people using for insurance? I am very hesitant to get started without covering myself.

Thanks much!

5 REPLIES 5
jamespassmore
Community Member

I've been trying to find out the same thing. I'd love to know if anyone has any advice.

Simon -

I ended up getting a plan via Mercer. I believe I came across them via the ASME website.

Mike

Hi Mike,

Did you set up a PII then? I am an architect and have been wondering about this myself. Is it mandatory when doing freelance online work or good practice?

I am not sure what an PII is, but I have an LLC, which my lawyer said should be enough to protect personal assets in case of a lawsuit. In the end, the insurance premium wasn't that bad and I figured it was the smart move.

re: "Is it mandatory when doing freelance online work or good practice?"

No form of "insurance" is mandatory as far as Upwork rules are concerned.

Good practice? That's a different question entirely. And the answer is probably VERY dependent on what type of work you do.