🐈
» Groups » Designers & Creatives » Forum » Re: Is my hourly rate too high?
Page options
fpetreski
Community Member

Is my hourly rate too high?

I am a graphic designer with more than 10 years of experience, 3 years active on Upwork and more than 3000 hours worked and over $60k earned. I would say my profile isn't too bad but I have never explored the teritory over $25/hour which I think its too low for my field but I haven't got the guts to do it. I do think I have the skills to enter that teritory (at least you can judge that too), but I'd like to ask you if its reasonable and is there enough clients that would pay the rate of $40 + an hour. Thanks!

3 REPLIES 3
petra_r
Community Member

Filip P wrote:

I am a graphic designer with more than 10 years of experience, 3 years active on Upwork and more than 3000 hours worked and over $60k earned. I would say my profile isn't too bad but I have never explored the teritory over $25/hour which I think its too low for my field but I haven't got the guts to do it. I do think I have the skills to enter that teritory (at least you can judge that too), but I'd like to ask you if its reasonable and is there enough clients that would pay the rate of $40 + an hour. Thanks!

It is impossible to say without seeing your profile and knowing whether you win lots of work at your current rate.

An increase from under $ 25 to $ 40 per hour in a single step is a bad idea anyway, increases are generally better digested by the market if done in sensible increments and over time.

It also helps to find your sweet spot.

kbadeau
Community Member

I agree that without seeing your profile and portfolio it is hard to say, but I *will* say that as a general rule you will get better clients at $40/hr than you get at 25. It is just much easier, in my experience, to work with clients who expect to pay a "fair" price for quality work. At $25 an hour I got a lot of people who had just never even really worked with a graphic designer before and don't know what to expect. They just end up being more challenging to work with in my opinion.

Another thing is that even if your listed rate is $40 an hour, you can still offer a lower rate when you apply for projects.

wmcreativearium
Community Member

Well, as the other said, not sure what your portfolio looks like...  But, to rant, this hourly rate thing is really a bunch of bull! It's the experience and value you are giving a client, which should be an estimated flat rate. Hourly rates punish skill and experience. And quite frankly, the "clients" on Upwork need to be educated in this and not catered and sided to this by trying to get the lowest bid on a project. I know you've seen some of the budgets on here for some of the most ridiculous expectations. And Upwork is not helping the perception of the field.