🐈
» Groups » Designers & Creatives » Forum » Re: Is there a clear difference between 80% a...
Page options
marselozi
Community Member

Is there a clear difference between 80% and 90% of JSS?

Is there a clear difference between 80% and 90% of JSS? I have an account for several months at UPwork, at the beginning I had the status of rising talent and I managed to get orders quite easily. However, I had one client who behaved in a rude manner and closed 2 works with me. Because of that I lost the status of rising talent and I gained JSS immediately and it was only 74%, which made it very truffly to get new orders. Fortunately, I had several unfinished work and re-employment by old clients so I managed to reach 84%. However, the orders are over, regular customers at the moment do not want anything new and I have to look for new orders, but it is very difficult, I send dozens of applications, only 5% of them, although I have a lot of skills it is very difficult to find a client. I have a question, is there a big difference between 80 and 90%? when I manage to achieve 90%, the response to my proposals will be clearly bigger? Are there people who have passed from 80 to 90% and can describe their experiences and equations between these levels?

3 REPLIES 3
wlyonsatl
Community Member

Marcel,

My JSS is usually above 90, but it has dipped as low as the mid-80s over the years.

I didn't notice any difference in client response rates to my proposals when my JSS was below 90, but the number of clients who contacted me directly with a request for a proposal on their projects did drop somewhat.

Unfortunately, when a client sets up a new project to look for freelancers on Upwork, the form the client fills out defaults their selection of a required minimum JSS to 90. If you see this minimum 90 JSS requirement on a project you think you are ideal for, go ahead and submit a proposal. It isn't my experience that all clients are hard and fast in "requiring" this minimum.

Will, thank you very much for the answer, I was a little surprised that there is no difference in gaining new customers from 80% and 90%, owhen you were 80% did you apply for proposals with the required 90%? Regards

Hi, Marcel.

I can't say there was no effect when my JSS dipped below 90, but I stayed busy on Upwork projects throughout that time and got plenty of new assignments. 

I had at least one potential client ask me why my JSS was not higher, and I told him I didn't know exactly how the JSS is calculated and asked him if he knew. He didn't, of course.

I can only suggest you apply to all jobs you think you are suited for, disregarding the supposed minimum JSS requirement if it's above 90. In my experience, not all clients really care. And if you do find a client who insists on hiring only freelancers with a JSS of 100, it's likely they're young and inexperienced and don't really understand that in the real world, no one is perfect.