🐈
» Groups » Designers & Creatives » Forum » Re: Less Proposal Accepts
Page options
dgraphicsdj
Community Member

Less Proposal Accepts

Is anyone else noticing less of their proposals getting accepted? When I first joined UpWork I was getting a decent flow of accepted proposals and getting jobs. The last two months, I've completed depleted my Connects within a week and never even get an interview. I have a good success rate, great reviews, and a full profile. 

I know there's been changes on both Freelancer and Client's sides. I'm wondering if something has changed on the Client's end, that they're viewing Freelancers differently that is causing it to be harder for Freelancer to even get interviewed. 

I totally accept the fact there are amazing Designers on here and that it creates heavy competition, but it's just odd I went from getting at least 2 jobs a week, to suddenly nothing in two months. 

45 REPLIES 45
rolludesig
Community Member

yes thats true..tired of seeing 4-5 project closed /expired mails everyday,,

pgiambalvo
Community Member

Me, too. Many months of steadily getting hired and now, nothing.

I think if you can get your JSS above 90 that will help. It's a threshold I see a lot for jobs. And I'd be more discerning with your connects. You want to get one or two good quick jobs with quick turnaround in the next two weeks so you can get those reviews in your next JSS computation.

Be glad you actually get some work......

forestdiver
Community Member

Same thing. It really scares me.

I really want everything's back to how it was.

All recent updates have only complicated my work, in all aspects.

hoyle_editing
Community Member

Same here, 

I was getting regular work before the change - a few proposals would almost certainly result in at least an interview and often a job would come from that. last month and nothing - ive spent a small fortune on connects and sent proposals to much more than i ever normally would, and looking at the amount of proposals on each job it seems everyone else is to - yet no work 😞 

Its forced me to start looking towards other avenues/platforms to find work as it feels like 90% of the oppotunity here has vanished almost overnight.

Jonathan H wrote:

Same here, 

I was getting regular work before the change - a few proposals would almost certainly result in at least an interview and often a job would come from that. last month and nothing - ive spent a small fortune on connects and sent proposals to much more than i ever normally would, and looking at the amount of proposals on each job it seems everyone else is to - yet no work 😞 

Its forced me to start looking towards other avenues/platforms to find work as it feels like 90% of the oppotunity here has vanished almost overnight.

This proves that the new system of having to spend more connects, in order to reduce the number of proposals, is not working. I bet we all still bid for the same number of jobs on average but it just costs us more in connects.
This has become a nice little earner for somebody. 

acatrinel
Community Member

Same here, precisely what the above people said. Something's gone terribly wrong and if it doesn't get better soon my schedule will have to get filled with work from elsewhere 😕

mvog
Community Member

Same here and I thought that I needed some immerse changes. I have noticed this for over 3 months now and I had a perfect proposal hit status. Even thought I had some kind of secret ban lol. Emails for closed jobs come all time, like there are ghosts there. Dunno what changed..

myshoaib83
Community Member

I thought it was my problem only. I am not alone that makes me less hopeless. haha

naturehouse
Community Member

Same here! I thought I was loosing my mind. There has been a huge slowdown the past few months. This is so disappointing and discerning.

i think that making the connect in bunddles and not free i a good upwork action to maintain this problem so you will not fint 50+ proposal on all the posted job so every on will concern on what he can do only not all the posts

i wish that this can help us 

Actually it is not about the connects issue results in term of managing the challenge and turning it into more serious , Basically there is something wrong about the clients most of job are closed or even they don't hire clients on Upwork were mostly serious clients but unfortunately there less now !! can any one of the support team explain this as there many of us have the same problem? 

So, I'm new here (less than 2 months) and thought it was a problem with my profile and finding a niche — feel free to give suggestions about my profile if you want so.

Seeing you guys are more experienced here and having problems with finding jobs, I don't know if it's something about UpWork, but maybe is about global economy.

Or you think clients are going to another plataform like Freelancers/etc? Does someone know if same thing is happening on other plataforms?

Looking foward to having this vacuum fixed. Good luck to everyone — don't forget to take a deep breath.

Hey mate, I see you struggling getting new projects/clients. From last few months, i am facing the same issue as i have my profile started couple of years back and really gained good projects but from last few months, I am literally struggling the same as you. Don't know as its Global economy issue. I hope things get better soon.

Amrit

Raian, 

I think that I have the same questions as you. 

It is more than slightly concerning when those who have previously engaged clients, successfully worked the platform, and completed jobs convey that they are seeing significantly less activity. That's certainly not very encouraging to us newcomers. 

I really want to believe that perhaps the growth of the platform is creating more competition rather than anything surrounding changes that have been made.

I do, however, invite others to view my profile and give me any pointers on how to package my skills in a way that gives me a slight edge over the growing competition.  Just as physicians make the worst patients and attorneys make the worst clients, recruiters sometimes make the worst representatives of ourselves - because we are in the picture, we can't always see the frame.

Hello Everyone!

I'm a top freelancer with 100% JSS, and I start bidding actively again and there is not a single response to my bids, interviews none and of course no hire! I'm working trough Upwork (Odesk) since 2012, and I gain a wonderful reputation with over 70 happy clients from all over the world! Is the site colapsing, clients not hiring trough the network or just the sistem changed completely? It's frustrating... 

Damjan C wrote:

Hello Everyone!

I'm a top freelancer with 100% JSS, and I start bidding actively again and there is not a single response to my bids, interviews none and of course no hire! I'm working trough Upwork (Odesk) since 2012, and I gain a wonderful reputation with over 70 happy clients from all over the world! Is the site colapsing, clients not hiring trough the network or just the sistem changed completely? It's frustrating... 

I have noticed that the high job success rate and being a top rated freelancer make little difference. In fact it seems to have been worse for me when I have been on 100% rate and being top rated. Maybe that makes clients thnik that I am bound to be more expensive and that they can get cheaper.
I have been as low as 83% on the job success rate and it has made little difference in the amount of work I get.

When I have been on 83% or so, and  the client states that he wants a freelancer with a minimum of 90%, I bid anyway and the client does not care about my percentage if he likes what he sees.

The 100% job success rate and being top rated is nothing but a myth in my view (or my field at least)

pepitabos
Community Member

I am relatively new to Upwork as a freelancer so I do not know what "normal" is. I am getting some interviews and some jobs but I have noticed that lots of jobs are closed or expired. Even jobs that I am invited for.

I chatted with Customer Service about this, because I noticed that for some of the projects that were closed or expired I did not receive any Connects back. What irritated me beyond belief is that I learned that for a closed project you get your Connects back, but for an expired job (client not active for 30 days) you do not get your Connects back. I told them that I thought that was pretty unfair. There is not much I can do about the inactivity of a client if I am not interviewing with him. I received some **Edited for Community Guidelines** advice on how to take better care on which jobs to respond to and the link to a blog post with tips. 

I have worked on other freelance platforms (Dutch) where the lack of response from clients was a big problem as well. There the freelancer was the one paying as well. I think the barrier is too low for clients to post a job, there is no cost or penalty to them if they set up a job and then do nothing. The only one gaining from it is Upwork, because they make money anyway.

taylornslaughter
Community Member

I am having the same issue and I am wondering if anybody has any insights as to why this is happening? 

If I don't find another job I'm going to be in real trouble financially, as Upwork is my sole source of income. 

khanzada01
Community Member

Being a top rated, even I face the same I keep on spending connects and get nothing.

seunekunseitan
Community Member

I am having the same issue over here and it's quite very discouraging. I hope things get better. Would appreciate if you guys could check out my profile and give me your honest feedback. Thank you!

bzstudio
Community Member

The same thing is happening with me. I am top rated as well, and have recently used more connects than ever before. I know there has been a slight downturn in the economy but I didn't think it was that severe. I don't think it's the economy though because if we are using up connects it means that the jobs are there but someone else is getting hired. It looks like fewer people are making proposals on each job, so it doesn't seem like there's any more competition than there used to be. So I thought it was just me, but apparently it isn't. So what could the issue be?

I agree with you Lisa!

Reading all these comments has confirmed to me, that we are nearly all in the same frustrating position!

Whether you are Top Rated or a Rising Talent, I thought that the original idea of paying for connects was a way to prove or verify the professional intent and sincerity of the freelancer's application or proposal, to the client.

Unfortunately, Upwork has not made the same decision with regards to people or companies posting jobs.

Standards have dropped dramatically over on the client's side, as they are allowed to post any kind of job they like, for free (normally, without a good description or a reasonable payment offer) and we have to pay either 6 - 4 - or 2 connects to apply, without a guarantee of even getting an answer!

Why aren't there certain rules that clients have to obey?

Upwork should charge all clients to buy "connects" in order to post a job, so that the freelancer applying, knows that the client is serious and genuine about the post they are making. This would also eliminate the "Payment Unverified" problem!

Come on Upwork, instead of just charging us freelancers with percentage fees and connects, please do the right thing and help make the client more transparent to us all and also, make them jump through some hoops to prove that they are genuine people and not total time wasters!

lorigalyk
Community Member

I have recently become more active on UpWork but there seems to be crickets out there! My proposals are articulate, enthusiastic, demmonstrate a can-do attitude, and show precise alignment to the need. I just am scratching my head as to why there have not been more responses.  It certainly gives me pause, wondering just what do I have to do? 

0fab828e
Community Member

Same problems here. It would take me a matter of hours to find a new project before, and now it's taking days. What's interesting is that when I purchase connects and start bidding on jobs, then suddenly I get invited to interview on jobs directy from Upwork. I wonder if it's rigged now, or there is some new algorithum in place that only allows freelancers who are paying for connects and/or membership to get invited to jobs.

Definately, Upwork is more interested in maintaining good client relationships and doesn't necessarily see us freelancers as clients. I think it's very coincidenal that the timing of having to buy connects to bid on jobs has anything to do with the economy. Seriously?

millimeterdh
Community Member

I have been applying to jobs and sending proposals since 2 weeks now and still not being able to get an interview. I'm attaching samples and even completing clients requirements and sending them a copy. But hav'nt been able to get any attention by any client. I've read articles and watched videos followed all of their suggestions but still no success. What should I do?

muzzamil_n
Community Member

Also facing that same problem .

b56683a4
Community Member

I agree with you. It is very difficult to communicate with the customer.

emmre
Community Member

Upwork should make the clients to give responses. Those responses could be copy pasted. Just you know, We have decided to progress with other candidates. etc. But there must be responses for every proposal. And I believe lower than average prices must be forbidden from both sides. You know some clients offer 5 usd for a 500 usd job, and always there are some freelancers who makes a 5000usd job for 10 bucks etc. This must be forbidden. And Upwork needs to seperate job pools for beginners, intermediates and seniors. I believe this would solve much of this problem. But yet, there is some interesting missing point again. I believe there are a lot of freelancers due to economical crisis and coronavirus, and few clients now. Don't have a solution for that of course.

m_terrazas
Community Member

Emre O wrote:

Upwork should make the clients to give responses. Those responses could be copy pasted. Just you know, We have decided to progress with other candidates. etc. But there must be responses for every proposal. And I believe lower than average prices must be forbidden from both sides. You know some clients offer 5 usd for a 500 usd job, and always there are some freelancers who makes a 5000usd job for 10 bucks etc. This must be forbidden. And Upwork needs to seperate job pools for beginners, intermediates and seniors. I believe this would solve much of this problem. But yet, there is some interesting missing point again. I believe there are a lot of freelancers due to economical crisis and coronavirus, and few clients now. Don't have a solution for that of course.

One more time. How do you think that Upwork is going to force a client to respond to all proposals? What use is a copy and paste answer to you? Send your proposals and forget about it until the client answers you, if he does.
If I were a client and had to answer 50+ proposals, more than half of which are ***, I would run away.

If you see a price that does not seem good to you, one of two, or you do not present a proposal or you send it with the price that seems fair to you. End.

There are plenty of people who will take those jobs. Whether the client ends up happy or not is another matter. You must realize that there are prices that for some people mean a lot of money. We cannot generalize, this is a global platform.
There may be freelancers who think that your prices are too cheap for what you are offering. Would you like to be forced to set a minimum price per hour?

They already have a division of "beginners, intermediates and seniors", named in another way, for the client to choose from.

By the way, in your profile you should talk about yourself, not your company ("We are ...................................... team...")

nav_designer
Community Member

Same here Iam toprated plus 500k earned 4000 hours done hiring rate is now 1% after this update. ELON MUSK IS OUR FINAL HOPE 😃😃😃. He could  purchase up work too and could save all freelancer careers.

Hassan N wrote:

Same here Iam toprated plus 500k earned 4000 hours done hiring rate is now 1% after this update. ELON MUSK IS OUR FINAL HOPE 😃😃😃. He could  purchase up work too and could save all freelancer careers.

Do you think that would be the solution?
That he would charge less and solve all our problems?
Really?

Yes, I think it could be a game-changer because after Elance and or desk merger. the freelancer did not get any good news. we need someone who really cares about our community.

some worst things are. 

High commission fee.

high commission fee client side.

project catalog ( this is a mini fiver in Upwork cheap and con artist / develops market )due to this we are not getting jobs interview, more than 15 jobs closed expired daily. imagine freelancers offering an explainer video for 5$. no screening from Upwork no question from them that how you would do that no screening they using as a generic portfolio.

boosting a proposal is a useless feature, based on performance proposal should be boosted, like other freelancing platforms.

expensive connects (they should provide these options )

> all clients should have verified accounts with verified payment status.

> client interaction notification.

> client message seen notification.

> connect refund if the client did not hire or the job is expired.

this basic development all freelancers required.

Hassan N wrote:

Yes, I think it could be a game-changer because after Elance and or desk merger. the freelancer did not get any good news. we need someone who really cares about our community.

some worst things are. 

High commission fee.

high commission fee client side.

project catalog ( this is a mini fiver in Upwork cheap and con artist / develops market )due to this we are not getting jobs interview, more than 15 jobs closed expired daily. imagine freelancers offering an explainer video for 5$. no screening from Upwork no question from them that how you would do that no screening they using as a generic portfolio.

boosting a proposal is a useless feature, based on performance proposal should be boosted, like other freelancing platforms.

expensive connects (they should provide these options )

> all clients should have verified accounts with verified payment status.

> client interaction notification.

> client message seen notification.

> connect refund if the client did not hire or the job is expired.

this basic development all freelancers required.

I was just being sarcastic 😬
Still, seeing how much is wrong with Upwork, you should look at other platforms.
But, I warn you, I'm in several, you're going to be extremely disappointed.

Yes, I know this is a fact, 

rizichat
Community Member

Same here. I have applied for more than 315 jobs and got a few responses and projects.

I don't know what's happening. 🙁

estherdestiny
Community Member

Hi Dustin,
It is happening on the Agency side too.  I think it is that there are more people working for less money so those of us that charge a reasonable rate are being overlooked.

I just increased how many Proposals I sent out and it worked.
All the best,

Ann

b6779a97
Community Member

None of my proposal was accepted 

As I am a webpage coder and a website designer I had sent many proposal none of them were accepted I have created many web pages too and I am well known about all languages