🐈
» Groups » Designers & Creatives » Forum » Re: Logos
Page options
hterry50
Community Member

Logos

Am I the only one that finds it frustrating that people want to pay less than $100 for a logo?!?!? I haven't even seen many $100, it has been most $25-$50. I am sorry but that is ridiculous. I know we have to stay competive but a logo is something the company uses over and over and over, and we are only getitng paid $25-$100 for it, plus however many revisions they would want. I would love to get more work on here but it is hard for me to send proposals in for something that takes alot of work when the pay is no where near what it should be. Maybe I am alone in this?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
mturan12
Community Member

That problem doesn't exist in logos only bbut everywhere. The problem is much deeper than that. Just posted a long article on this issue:

https://community.upwork.com/t5/Member-Discussions/What-is-missing-for-high-end-freelancers/m-p/3358...

View solution in original post

18 REPLIES 18
mturan12
Community Member

That problem doesn't exist in logos only bbut everywhere. The problem is much deeper than that. Just posted a long article on this issue:

https://community.upwork.com/t5/Member-Discussions/What-is-missing-for-high-end-freelancers/m-p/3358...

Mehmet,

Yes, I also believe it happens in more places besides logos but logos just sticks out to me as a big one. I believe all aspects of design are underpaid becasue everyone is trying to be so competive. I understand why people charge what they do to try to get the job, but doing that just makes people think they do not have to pay us what we are worth. The amount of money they want to pay most the time is not worth my time to do the project. I am glad I am not alone in feeling this way.

Holly,

I am 100% with you aswell. The amount of people asking for 10-20$ (50$ is rare) for a logo is crazy high, and I have no idea what the clients have in mind/expect when accepting someone designing a logo (or anything else, really) for such a low pay. But people that ask that low, usually have pretty high standards aswell...

You can see the results on platforms like the big "F", advertising how designers are "ripping off" clients, and people are better off paying 5$ for their logos, as that's a "fair pay" for those things.

Too bad those 5$ designs end up being a complete rip-off from a stock premade design or straight up a copy of a not-too-famous company logo, easily spotted by making a quick Google image search. Some even go beyond that, as they provide just the PNG, and make you pay extra for the psd (which is, mandatory if you're serious about your business/brand).

With that said,(and sorry if I'm repeating myself) I don't know what people would expect from someone paid 5-20$.

If you want a serious and lasting logo you need: research, sketching and the actual renderization of the selected concept (without counting the time for meetings and revisions etc.). Even if you boil down the WHOLE thing to just 3 hours, that's not even 3$/h (if you don't count the Upwork taxes), and needless to say, that's way below the minimum wage in most parts of the globe.

Sure, maybe you'll be able to make 40-50 of those and bank...but you'll need to reduce your production-time to 20 or 30 minutes each, and, once again, what can come out of a 20min logo design process? I think everyone gets it...but this platform (and others aswell) are still FULL of people that don't fully understand how pricing of those things work. Should the platform set a minimum-standard for some things? Maybe don't set limitations, but educate the clients beforehand?

I do understand that probably most of those clients are new to the market and starting their own little activity/company, so don't wanna spend 1-2k for a logo, but asking for 10$ is straight up insulting.

I read a bunch of threads about it just yesterday (not on this platform) and it irked me soo much.

People will still give you weird looks and scream for heresy if you ask more than 100$ for a logo. It is really hard to keep yourself motivated, if there's people around that basically under-sell the whole package just because they know how to save an image from Google and/or saw a couple of tutorials on Youtube.

Hopefully no one will type the usual "pro" answer, because that's what everyone types in those discussions:

"If you value yourself way higher than those other people, then show this to the client and let him know why he/she should pay you that amount".

Sadly, that's not how it works it seems, not on these platforms atleast, because the client will most likely (maybe 90% of the time or more) choose someone that asks for 20$ instead of someone that asks 250$, regardless of how detailed and professional your cover letter or portfolio looks, you'll never have a chance to explain your point of view.

Especially when "everyone" can have a good looking portfolio.

Take for example "portfolios" on the big "F" platform: some of the portfolios of those people that do 5$ logos are ASTOUNDING, yet the sad reality is that most of those are probably ripped off from somewhere, or were just stock vectors/cliparts reused (probably even without proper licensing)

Sorry for the "little" rant

Davide

I feel also same experience. I take many logo design projects is 5$. After 5 to 6-time modifications will give bad reviews.

check my profile past work : https://www.upwork.com/fl/parasbhalodiya

So,it's correct! You're receiving that you're deserving! )

Nice answer 

Oh yeah I see

geoffmaynard
Community Member

Yeah, fifty dollar logos are gross. Like fiver.com gross. Infact 300 is a discount price. Should be $500-$1400. if you askk me. Thats what I get commisoned at depending on how big focus group, company or if it will directly bring in revenue.

kana7archidesign
Community Member

i agree with you.

If I have a business, then I hope my competitors will use $50 logos.

I just received an invitation to design a logo. It indicated that the client was looking for an expert level designer. The budget, which of course FOR SOME REASON YOU CAN'T SEE in the invitation, was $50.

$50. For an expert logo. I can't even fault the client... Upwork should absolutely not allow clients to list expert level jobs with a $50 fixed rate. All it does is make me waste time politely declining.

kfarnell
Community Member

Upwork should absolutely not allow clients to list expert level jobs with a $50 fixed rate. All it does is make me waste time politely declining.

Vehemently disagree with this. $50 is fine for (say) a three-page sample edit or to write a single short page. I don't work hourly so I like the option for doing this as it can lead to highly lucrative projects.

kbadeau
Community Member

Kim F wrote:

Upwork should absolutely not allow clients to list expert level jobs with a $50 fixed rate. All it does is make me waste time politely declining.

Vehemently disagree with this. $50 is fine for (say) a three-page sample edit or to write a single short page. I don't work hourly so I like the option for doing this as it can lead to highly lucrative projects.

It sounds like you are not a designer though? I am talking about for design jobs. You can get 50 proposals in 5 minutes for design jobs at $50, but you will not get an expert at that rate.

If you click on "view job posting" you can see the actual budget and the rest of the horrors.

5a24222d
Community Member

I strongly disagree with this statement. There might be expert designers in upwork who offer their skills for a lower rate, not because they have no skill and experience but because of the competition and may be they are not getting noticed on this platform. They might be highly experienced outside this platform but might be new here and need to establish.

5a24222d
Community Member

Wow! $25 to $50 is lots of money for us. So, as new Upwork freelancers we can accomplish a logo. I understand that this money is very little in the USA. As you become an experienced Upwork Freelancer, defenitly the payment must increase.

7146c4e7
Community Member

Hello, my name is Dimas, I am a logo designer, it looks like you are looking for someone to make your logo   Do you want to use my services 

What from must be clear are you a logo designer? To trust for your words? )
What is your service? Why somebody must use it? Nobody want do it )

Also, the topic theme is the problem of logo designer, not a client seeking somebody unclear...