🐈
» Groups » Designers & Creatives » Forum » Need help in Upwork profile & tips for writin...
Page options
iqbal-suleman
Community Member

Need help in Upwork profile & tips for writing a proposal in the field of multimedia.

Hi Guys,

https://www.upwork.com/freelancers/~0105e86a6d9738ccdb

Above is my profile link. I have updated my Pic, Title, Overview and Hourly Rate. I have also added an overview video. Please I want you to look my the areas of my profile which I have mentioned. I also need your tips about how to write a proposal.

Please let me know about your suggestions.

I am waiting for your expert opinions.

Thanks

Suleman

9 REPLIES 9
stencil_media
Community Member

"...the opportunity to utilize every possible second to work in suitable projects & to brush up the skills."

'Brush up my skills' would be better, but I'd remove that last part in its entirety. It comes across as you needing to brush up your skills, or that you're looking for jobs that you can learn on.

Sure, any job is a learning experience, but that statement makes it sounds like you don't currently have the sufficient skill level the client is looking for (so you'll need to 'brush up'), or you want the client to pay you for on the job learning, when they probably want to pay you for on the job working. 

Just  a small point, and you're not going to revolutionise the world if you remove it, but with 10, 50, 100 different profiles for a client to review, something like that could tip the balance. 

"Welcome, humans. I'm ready for you!"
- Box, Logan's Run (1976)

Hi Scott,

Thanks for your opinion. Yes It makes sense what you are saying but I want to give an impression about myself is that I focus on the job as well as the development of my skills.

Or this could be better "the opportunity to utilize every possible second to work in suitable projects which helps to brush up my skills."

Please let me know about your suggestions.

And I also have added another line which is in the bracket, Check this one out:

"I provide quality results in a timely manner (with a great amount of revisions) & always willing to put up an extra amount effort to satisfy the clients in reasonable price"

Please also let me know this line.

Thanks

Suleman

If that's your goal then feel free to make it clear that you spend a lot of time learning and developing and working to provide a better service/quality of work etc... but just not that you want to do it on the client's time. That's how it's coming across currently.

If you're brushing up on something, it means that you're not an expert, you're a bit 'rusty' (i.e. out of practice or not very good),  or you're going to have to put a bit of practice in. Clients, in my experience, aren't really looking for people they can pay to practice doing something.  

"Welcome, humans. I'm ready for you!"
- Box, Logan's Run (1976)

Hi Scott,

Thanks for yout opinoin. I have remove the line "Brush up the skiills' I have replaced this line "To build strong working relationships"

How's that sounds ?

Please let me know.

Thanks

Suleman

Or I can add this line:

'to utilize every possible second to work in suitable projects which helps to build strong working relationships.... or to build strong working relationships with the clients.'

Please let me know.

Thanks

Suleman

Hi Suleman,

As a relative newcomer to Upwork, I'm still trying to find an optimum way of presenting myself.  However, as someone who has read literally thousands of CVs, I can offer some constructive criticism for you 🙂

Playing devil's advocate as a critical client, this is what I picked up from your profile:

1. "seeks for the opportunity to utilize every possible second" What are you trying to say here? Read literally it doesn't really make much sense. Do you need this at all? The sentence reads perfectly well without it.
  2. I agree with Scott that the brushing up of skills doesn't add much but is in danger of detracting.
  3. The bit about "with a great amount of revisions" is irrelevant. As a client, I'd be concerned that a lot of revisions means that I'd have to do more work. You could say something like "happy to do as many revisions to provide what you are looking for."
  4. Rather than saying you're Highly Skilled in the following areas, it may be better to say you have "a wealth of experience" or "in-depth knowledge of." Highly Skilled implies that you have specialized knowledge, yet you then seem to list everything?
  5. Under Other Experience, you state that you have "excellent command over the following" Yet, your test scores are 'only' above average. I'd either ditch the test results as they're OK, but not exceptional, or I'd reword the last sentence.

As I said, the above is being extremely critical of your profile, and it may well work on Upwork, I don't have the experience to say. But, hopefully, what I've written will help a bit. Try to avoid superlatives, most employers are blind to them as they're generally in every CV you read 🙂

Good luck, feel free to ignore anything I've written, it is just my opinion 🙂

Hi Phil,

Thanks for your critical view. I appreciate your concern. I just want to ask you something. From this point ""seeks for the opportunity to utilize every possible second," I think this line adds more value to the sentence and it shows my enthusiasm to work. Please let me know about this. Or I can just say "I'm a creative & communicative worker who always seeks for the opportunity to work in suitable projects to build strong working relationships"

About the second point it reads like this "I provide quality results in a timely manner with a great amount of revisions" Should I just remove this line ""with a great amount of revisions" or how can I say about the revision thing. I want your suggestion in this one?

As being a client will you avoid the part "Highly skilled" if that's not making any problem for wining the job, I will leave it as it is now, if that line is coming in the way of wining a project then I will change it. Please let me know.

About the test results, As a worker, I feel that test results are not more important than my work history/ feedback's & portfolio. I am preparing for the test and will improve the results. So I am asking you as a client, Will you pay attention more to my test results rather than my work history, rating, job success & portfolio?

I'm a bit concerned about my hourly rate & how to write proposals, Can you help?

Please let me know. I'm looking forward to hear your opinion.

Thanks

Suleman

Hi,

I think you may have misunderstood, I'm not currently a client on Upwork, although I have been in the client's shoes many times in my career 🙂

This "I'm a creative & communicative worker who always seeks for the opportunity to work in suitable projects to build strong working relationships" is so much better than your original sentence.

Why are the number revisions important? I would have thought that the fewer the revisions the better, no? I'd take it out.

About the "Highly skilled" bit, I'm just saying that I would guess that every profile has it somewhere. A client is likely to skim over it.

Test results are the one place a client will look. I don't want to sound demeaning, but yours are OK, but not brilliant. They show that you're possibly in the top 40%. This could be damaging your proposals as the rest of your profile reads as though you're an excellent designer 🙂

I'm not familiar with your market, so I can't help with your hourly rate 😞 If you want to pm me with an example proposal, I'd be happy to look at it.

Good luck

Hi Phil,

Thanks for your help. I will take your points seriously & will make changes to my profile.

As for the proposal, I am giving you an example in your pm.

Thanks

Suleman