🐈
» Groups » Designers & Creatives » Forum » Not getting through to new clients?
Page options
estiaanv
Community Member

Not getting through to new clients?

Hi,

Hope someone can direct me with this problem.

I am struggling to get noticed by clients. I've sent out over +- 250 proposals with not 1 reply. I know there's a huge number of other freelancers on this platform that's also applying for these positions. But not even 1 out of 250 proposals feels wrong. I believe my portfolio is strong enough to attract clients. 

Any advice or direction would be fantastic.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

When you make your jobs "private," clients may assume that you did not command the hourly rate that you list on your profile -- or that you are trying to hide or fudge something about the job.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
joansands
Community Member

You have had some jobs, so I don't understand your post here. It does take time when you are first trying to get started on Upwork. My suggestion is that you try to improve your profile description. After that, you need really good bid proposals.

When you make your jobs "private," clients may assume that you did not command the hourly rate that you list on your profile -- or that you are trying to hide or fudge something about the job.

naumanahmad12345
Community Member

I passed from a similar situation during the last year. I thought that everything on my profile was correct. However, proposals that I wrote were not being responded, and those who were replying were mostly low-rated clients with jobs that I could not accept. My work quantity dropped considerably as a result. In the end, I tried to figure out where the problems were starting from. As a result, I could solve this problem, and now at least, my proposals have started to get replies. First, I revised the OVERVIEW section of my profile and brought it in line with the thought-making process of a potential client. Second, instead of applying to every job that I thought I could do; I have started to focus only on just a few specific jobs that I believe are the best to go after. With this, I try to pick points in job description that give a clue about what the client may be looking forward to as the most prioritized thing. Let me tell that these adjustments were made just two weeks ago, and since then more clients have responded to my proposals or invited me to interview on their own. This is where I think is also the origin of your problem. You have just written a basic-level profile overview, stating I can do these things, habits, etc. Rather you should think about giving copy writing touch to your overview. You should think about needs of your clients, and make attempts to hypnotically motivate them with your cover letter. Remember, in this world of freelancing, you have to be a step ahead of competition, or you will get out of the attention of clients.
silw
Community Member

your profile text reads the following: " I, I, I , me, me, I, I, me, I"

when hiring someone, I don't care a single bit what he thinks about himself and how great he is, I want to know how he can help me with my project, solve my problems and which process he has to ensure the project runs smoothly.

saying that your job is "a hobby" doesn't make you look like an expert. rather like a hobbyist.

If you want to, you can DM me a typical proposal of yours and I'll let you know if I can identify the problem.

My proposals usually aren't longer than 3-4 sentences and I don't feel like I am not getting enough jobs.

tech-wiz77
Community Member

I recommend creating a client account and posting up a job.  You can learn SO MUCH by seeing the other side of the fence.  What did you notice caused you to hire someone?  To be genuine, you have to really want to hire someone and come up with a real job for someone to do.  This way you are in the same head space as any other client.  Choose someone and have them do the job.  Review why you made the choice.  What did you like about what they said or their profile?  I noticed a WIDE range of bids on my job.  One girl bid $5 to do my job and some guy bid $300 to do the same job!  Who do you think I hired?  The girl.  Sometimes its just a price decision.  She could be the worst hire ever but I can hire 60 of her for the cost of $300 guy and surely 60 people can product more than the $300 guy can produce alone.

silw
Community Member

I can align 15.000 mediocre artists to produce some industry top-level artwork and none of them will be able to produce a fitting piece of work, while one high level artist will be able to.

you theory isn't right. There are low-expertise jobs that anyone can do, true. But there are high level jobs only a hand full of people can do and therefore charge a lot of money.

Larry L wrote:

She could be the worst hire ever but I can hire 60 of her for the cost of $300 guy and surely 60 people can product more than the $300 guy can produce alone.

and the result is going to be 60 times a 5$ quality job.

can you do this for me ?