🐈
» Groups » Designers & Creatives » Forum » Photoshop Image Download vs Copy Paste
Page options
atreglia
Community Member

Photoshop Image Download vs Copy Paste

I have a question that I have not seen addressed here.  I cannot possibly be the only one wondering this.  Is there supposed to be a difference between downloading a client's image vs. copy/pasting from the browser?  I am asking this because I just finished a nice composite of several photos.  The end result was fine.  However, I did this composite twice because I originally used the downloaded photos (right click the image in the message box>>save as).  Later, and by happenstance, I double clicked on the same image and brought it up in the browser bigger.  So....I went back and redid the composite using the larger images.  This was quite frustrating because it was several hours of work to extract backgrounds from 4 photos with 5 people in each photo.  

I'm not sure if I'm making myself clear.  I really just want to know from others what they use:  The downloaded file, or copy/paste from within the browser.  There were no layers within the client's image-they were .jpegs. 

Thanks,

AnnaMarie

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
barada00
Community Member

Hello AnnMarie

You made yourself crystal clear. It's a common mistake I see clients make. This is the first time I hear a freelancer doing the same thing. The images on the message box are called "thumbnails". You don't work on them if you are a freelancer or you don't send them to be printed on a billboard if you are a client. You left click on the "thumbnails"; they open in a new window as a high resolution original image; you work on them, or if you are a client you send the high resolution image to the printer.

So many times I'm asked if it was possible to send a high resolution version of a 300dpi 10MX10M image that I started to send the images zipped or I started to write to every client "please left click on the "thumbnail" to see the full resolution image."

So, only work on the large images. Sorry if I sounded in your face but it's a bleeding wound for me.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
barada00
Community Member

Hello AnnMarie

You made yourself crystal clear. It's a common mistake I see clients make. This is the first time I hear a freelancer doing the same thing. The images on the message box are called "thumbnails". You don't work on them if you are a freelancer or you don't send them to be printed on a billboard if you are a client. You left click on the "thumbnails"; they open in a new window as a high resolution original image; you work on them, or if you are a client you send the high resolution image to the printer.

So many times I'm asked if it was possible to send a high resolution version of a 300dpi 10MX10M image that I started to send the images zipped or I started to write to every client "please left click on the "thumbnail" to see the full resolution image."

So, only work on the large images. Sorry if I sounded in your face but it's a bleeding wound for me.

Thanks Baris!

You are not in my face at all.  This was a first for me (print output).  Since I have your attention, may I ask how layered files work here?  I havent received one yet, but imagine they must be attached to receive all the layers?

Photoshop layers come in psd or tif files. Photoshop can also save jpg with paths. The client should send those files for you to be able to open with layers. Not all clients know what layer means though, so they can send you a bmp file they made with paint thinking the butterfly and the flower are different layers of their masterpiece. The best advice I can give you is use your commonsense : )

I get it that one, lol  

Thanks! 🙂 

You're welcome. : )

You see my profile. How can I present an attractive profile so that the employer trusts me and gives me a job?