🐈
» Groups » Designers & Creatives » Forum » Problem with Client -was happy- but wanted al...
Page options
taram7
Community Member

Problem with Client -was happy- but wanted all my draft designs for same cheap price- then silence

I did a logo for a client- it's my first one on Upwork and he bid very cheap. I sent a proposal for double his price- still extremely cheap. He liked all my drafts- there were 4-5 anchor designs with a few variations each. He was very happy, chose one initially and I said I had a couple more- he is a photographer and said he might be interested in having different logos for different types of photography that he wants to keep separate. 

I sent the designs in draft- he requested all of them- for the same lousy payment. I very professionally let him know that his proposal was for one design with exclusive rights- but If he wanted more, they would be each the same amount- That was 3 days ago- he was responding fine until then. 

How long should it usually go before it's an abandoned job? I keep watching his website to see if he tried to steal my designs... lol. He had been happy with them and suggested other projects for his business in the future- perplexed. I spent more time on these than he paid (sadly) but since it's my first and I'm new here and he offered future jobs- agh. 

So how do you guys handle this? I can't believe he thought he was gonna get all 5 designs plus variations for that 😞

*He does have the amount for 1 in escrow and did officially hire me. All work/communication has been done through Upwork. 

Thank you.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Thank you so much for your kindness and patience! I appreciate it!

Thanks for the humor too!

Tara

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
pudingstudio
Community Member

Tara M wrote:

I did a logo for a client- it's my first one on Upwork and he bid very cheap. I sent a proposal for double his price- still extremely cheap. He liked all my drafts- there were 4-5 anchor designs with a few variations each. He was very happy, chose one initially and I said I had a couple more- he is a photographer and said he might be interested in having different logos for different types of photography that he wants to keep separate. 

I sent the designs in draft- he requested all of them- for the same lousy payment. I very professionally let him know that his proposal was for one design with exclusive rights- but If he wanted more, they would be each the same amount- That was 3 days ago- he was responding fine until then. 

How long should it usually go before it's an abandoned job? I keep watching his website to see if he tried to steal my designs... lol. He had been happy with them and suggested other projects for his business in the future- perplexed. I spent more time on these than he paid (sadly) but since it's my first and I'm new here and he offered future jobs- agh. 

So how do you guys handle this? I can't believe he thought he was gonna get all 5 designs plus variations for that 😞

*He does have the amount for 1 in escrow and did officially hire me. All work/communication has been done through Upwork. 

Thank you.

It is very believable.

Contact them once more in couple of days. If they are still not responding - just request for funds to be released (via 'Submit Work for Payment' button on your contract).

You will not loose a client if you request (completed) milestone to be released. Clients don't get that as something offensive, but professional.
It IS what you are supposed to do.

If this client is not a bad person, they will get back to you at some point regarding more work.

If they just lied.. Pitty, but you were not wronged, you will be payed.

You will gain from this contract.
You will use it for your experience (clients who are looking for a bargain are clients with whom NO ONE wants to work).
You'll keep pushing.

Thank you so much for your reply!

I want to ask- is there a normal amount of draft designs that are commonly presented? 

I am not a pro, I'm a bit of an amateur, but have done several logos for others and sent him those- so he hired me. The instructions were to feel out what would match his photography and website- I wan't sure I was hitting it totally- but I used 5- would that be too much? I hope I didn't cause the problem because he offered more work... What is the norm or standard to drafts?

Thank you again! 

Appreciate it so much!

Tara M wrote:

Thank you so much for your reply!

I want to ask- is there a normal amount of draft designs that are commonly presented? 

I am not a pro, I'm a bit of an amateur, but have done several logos for others and sent him those- so he hired me. The instructions were to feel out what would match his photography and website- I wan't sure I was hitting it totally- but I used 5- would that be too much? I hope I didn't cause the problem because he offered more work... What is the norm or standard to drafts?

Thank you again! 

Appreciate it so much!

It's between you and you client. Have no exact number for you...

Some people offer none revisions.
Most people love the hourly rate jobs (as all revisions go by the clock).

Some people offer unlimited number of drafts and revisions (don't do that, there is no happiness there).

Always feel free to comumnicate with your client. If they ask for too much, convey that to them.

Very often they are just nice people who don't know (which is why they hire you) - you walk them throught the job.

You let them know if they are asking for too much and explain that you will do it for additional payment (one which would reflect time and effort you would spend).

Tara

Some freelancers choose to deliver the high-res files and source files for only the design the client approves.

And it's up to you to decide how many concepts is realistic for the offered price.

By all means avoid the promise of the rabbit-hole of Unlimited revisions. It doesn't even exist as a thing; even the air we breath isn't unlimited.

Tara M wrote:

Tara

Isn't it even more humourous that you marked your own answer as the solution to your question? 😉

If you have an hourly contract, then EVERYTHING you produce whlle logging time belongs to the client. Every file. All intellectual property. If you talk on the phone, the very ideas you discuss belong to the cilent.

But you didn't have an hourly contract. If you have a fixed-price contract, then the client may ONLY receive the specific deliverables that you agreed to beforehand. Otherwise, the client is asking for free work. And the client is violating the contract that he has with the freelancer.

Clients may not understand this.

A client may be a good person, but not understand how fixed-price contracts work.

With most clients, it is possible to educate them. But it needs to be done early on.

The best defense against this type of inappropriate cilent behavior is clear communication before a contract begins, and accurate, detailed written descriptions about what it is that a milestone entails.

Thank You So Much! This is exactly what I thought.
And he only wanted one logo, I wanted him one, I was making drafts for one- since I had to determine what he would like and would fit his style, it was as clear as just one design... I'm not sure how he got it in his mind... Or why. I've read back through and can't find anything except discussing elements.

Thanks so much for the clarification. I will take above advice and send a second follow up tomorrow... Then submit the first one he chose with request for payment if I haven't heard back.

Appreciate the clear reply!