🐈
» Groups » Designers & Creatives » Forum » Promo Videos: Directing/ Shooting/ Editing
Page options
bonroote
Community Member

Promo Videos: Directing/ Shooting/ Editing

I shot two videos for a company and it was so much more work than I expected. I didn not account for editing/ re-editing. Those two contracts are done and I am very reluctant to start on another when I could be making double the amount I agreed to building websites, making logos, etc. I have told the customer this and they were upset. They said they intended on having many of these videos produced and would compensate what Upwork claimed form my earnings. 

I provided talent free of charge for these two videos, shot them in 4k, edited them/ re-edited them multiple times to meet criteria, provided royalty free music, etc. for $200 - Upwork's fee. I thought they'd be quick projects...they weren't. That's insane...right? Mind you- they loved the videos and felt they were very professional... Asking $400 and being told they could get a bulk rate from a production company for less is nonsense, right?

4 REPLIES 4
prestonhunter
Community Member

re: "They said they intended on having many of these videos produced and would compensate what Upwork claimed form my earnings."

That doesn't mean anything.

If you agreed to do "Task X" for $200, then you may finish the task and get paid $200, or you may close the contract and the $200 will go back to the client.

If you made a mistake and want to close the contract yourself without collecting payment, then you may do so. And there is nothing that the client can do about it.

The client can not force you to finish the task. The client can not raid your earnings or punish you if you don't want to continue making videos for them.

That’s not what I’m saying. I finished both projects we agreed on. Each for $200. They then wanted to contract for more projects to which I replied that it was not money worth my time (my appropriately of course). They were upset that I would not contract again for the same amount, claiming I asked too much. I don’t agree that $400 is too much for an ad, especially considering I’m doing all the directing, cinematography, hiring the talent out of my own pocket, and editing (all within a week).

I would never back out of a contract. I do the work no matter how hard. But I’m rethinking how much I’ll agree to. What are others charging and when do you just say “no”?

re: "I finished both projects we agreed on. Each for $200."

Then there is nothing to worry about.

re: "They were upset that I would not contract again for the same amount, claiming I asked too much."

They are very fortunate that you did so much work for them already.

You don't owe them anything.

If they had the opportunity to get more videos from you for $200... then they would be foolish to not take advantage of that opportunity.

But are such videos available?

No.

Because you aren't going to do all that work for $200 again.

So whether or not they are upset is something of a moot point.

You have been professional and polite. It would NOT BE professional or appropriate for you to agree to continue to do so much work for such a low rate.

Thank you. I guess I just wanted to be certain I wasn’t losing a customer unnecessarily.