🐈
» Groups » Designers & Creatives » Forum » Returning Designer
Page options
djsbaker
Community Member

Returning Designer

Hello fellow designer types,

I am a returning designer. I used to freelance on the old platform (oDesk), and have started freelancing again...so back I come! I had my fingers burnt with several really bad clients, so hung up my hat for a while.

How is it for designers on here, nowadays? Good jobs, good money,....typical clients? Any big changes in the new platform?

3 REPLIES 3
c0nsilience
Community Member

More metrics, sliding scale % cut taken by Upwork based on total amount of project (i.e., total hours you've worked on it) = 20% cut taken for first $500!  So yeah, a little different.

IMHO, better potential clients before the eLance merger.  Watch out, there are a lot of tire kickers on here.

Good luck!

Woah, 20%! Ouch. Good to know, thanks! Is that the same for a quick set price job?

@Daniel John B wrote:

Woah, 20%! Ouch. Good to know, thanks! Is that the same for a quick set price job?

Daniel,

Quick, fixed price jobs are billed according to Upwork's sliding scale model. The sliding scale is based on the lifetime of work done with the client, not the job. If you've already met the threshold amount for work required to slide you into the lower service fee bracket for a particular client, you will pay the lower service fee for that client moving forward.

Here is a link explaining Upwork's sliding scale: https://www.upwork.com/i/pricing/clients/

I hope that points you in the right direction, and welcome back!