🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Sample Cover Letter
Page options
saxonrlane
Community Member

Sample Cover Letter

Hello,

I'm very new to freelance work and wanted to start putting myself out there for some work. I'm interested in doing voice-over/talent work. I just wanted to know if anyone could give me tips or sample cover letters for applying to voice talent jobs (at the beginner level) that would be very appreciated.

I don't have any work that pertains to voice over work so I can't use any as attachments or for a portfolio. I really am just a beginner to freelance work.

Thank you very much for your time!

Saxon

93 REPLIES 93
saumya-dutt
Community Member

Hey Saxon,

Here's a simple Cover Letter I use, you might want to change it to your requirement and use it.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Respected Recruiter,

I read with interest your posting for Senior Web Developer.  I believe I possess the necessary skills and experience you are seeking and would make a valuable addition to your company.

As my resume indicates, I possess more than ten years of progressive experience in the Web Development and Web Administration field.  My professional history includes positions such as Senior Web Developer at Lism Inc as well as Empire Kred.
Most recently, my responsibilities as Senior Web Developer at Lism Inc match the qualifications you are seeking.  I assisted in the successful completion of Leafygills and Empire Kred.  My supervisor also relied on my ability to develop and work with servers.

I have attached my resume for your review and I look forward to speaking with you further regarding your available position.

Sincerely,
Saumya Brata Dutt

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks !

Saumya Brata Dutt.

Saxon, you need to post a good collection of samples as a portfolio.

Otherwise, don't even try.

Create samples before you start applying to work.

Don't use a template cover letter. Don't look at someone else's sample. Voice work? Keep your letter short. Who really cares what you write? Your portfolio/samples and past reviews/feedback are what is important.

Hi Preston

Can my open source contribution be used as an option to showcase my skills? Or should it be a sample project built from scratch?

re: "Can my open source contribution be used as an option to showcase my skills?"

Yes.

Just be sure to clearly indicate what you personally did.

Please let me know what is template cover letter ? Thanks 

@Faisal A wrote:

Please let me know what is template cover letter ? Thanks 

A general cover letter that you can use in proposals which you edit a little for each one. It's something you shouldn't use if you want to tailor your proposals to each client. 

i also need a cover letter and more information about upwork 

razades
Community Member

Hi Asad,

You can learn and find additional resources for support here:

• New to Upwork Community forum where you can connect with other new users or ask for help from experienced Upwork users.

• Events Page to check out upcoming webinars and past recordings.

I hope this will help you and enhance your knowledge.

Regards,

Ahmad

Razades

Dear Ahmad,

I am also new in upwork, please guide me about everything on upwork. I have more than 12 years experience in this field.

Thanks 

Hi Adnan! Hope you are well. I suggest you read the articles related to the Upwork Community page and resources. Take some webinars and note some major points that will help you to understand this awesome platform and you can only earn more when you will learn more. Please learn from the past experiences of the freelancers. Thanks

Razades
0ab57541
Community Member

I am new to upwork.How can I be assisted in write good cover letters

What if its my first proposal I am writing and I don't have samples of work donw previously. How can I write my proposal.

absolutely right, Do it your self, and create your own.

Hi . I need some help with my cover letter .
I want to know what important poi ya I should Include in my cover letter .
It LL be great if u help .
Thanks
elvisbett
Community Member

Hey Saxon, Here's a simple Cover Letter I use, you might want to change it to your requirement and use it. -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Respected Recruiter, I read with interest your posting for Senior Web Developer. I believe I possess the necessary skills and experience you are seeking and would make a valuable addition to your company. As my resume indicates, I possess more than ten years of progressive experience in the Web Development and Web Administration field. My professional history includes positions such as Senior Web Developer at Lism Inc as well as Empire Kred. Most recently, my responsibilities as Senior Web Developer at Lism Inc match the qualifications you are seeking. I assisted in the successful completion of Leafygills and Empire Kred. My supervisor also relied on my ability to develop and work with servers. I have attached my resume for your review and I look forward to speaking with you further regarding your available position. Sincerely, Saumya Brata Dutt ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Thanks ! Saumya Brata Dutt.

Elvis:

You do not understand what a cover letter should be.

The cover letter you posted here is all about you.

Clients don't care about you.

Clients care about 3 things:

- Themselves

- Their projects

- How you will make their lives better by helping with their projects

Those are the only things I talk about when I write cover letters.

You don't need to talk about yourself in a cover letter. If a client wants to know more about you, he can click on your name and read your profile page.

sir can you write a right cover letter for a graphic designer with 8 years' experience.

re: "sir can you write a right cover letter for a graphic designer with 8 years' experience."

Umesh:
That is not how this works.

greet Mr. Guru,

what the best example good and effective cover letters should be..

Thanks for this insight because it feels all so repititive when I start talking about myself. 

Can you give a sample?

Thanks 

I benefited

Can you please provide a sample cover letter, please

Hello Neha,

Cover letter should have clear mention of your experience and skills related to job you are bidding for.

You should also mention why buyer should hire you supported with work samples.

You can refer to sample cover letters here on community but DO NOT COPY/PASTE those but create your own.

Hi . I need some help with my cover letter .
I want to know what important points should Include in my cover letter .
It LL be great if u help .
Thanks
AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Neha, 

I would recommend that you check out these articles from our Hiring Headquarters to help you create proposals that win jobs, and help you boost your career on Upwork: 

Hopefully, this helps you with your Upwork career. Good luck!

~ Avery
Upwork

Hello,

Am new here and i have'nt done any job yet, how do i go about the job samples...

Hi Amarachi,

You may want to consider checking out the following blog articles to help you write winning proposals, improve your profile and tips on how to be successful on Upwork. 

We hope this helps and feel free to reach out if you need further assistance. Thank you!

~ Joanne
Upwork

I am statisticain and data analyst, i used to analyse data for someone else for more than 8 years, or particitate in writting reports for some agents (national or international), so how can i creat my own sample/portifolio, i am new in freelancing, and i did not got my first task here on Upwork, so what can i do regarding past reviews/feedback?

Hi Ahmed,

Welcome to Upwork!

You can use the 'Testimonials' section to ask your outside clients to leave a testimonial on your profile about the previous work you did.

I suggest that you take a look at this Community thread to help you get started along with the Freelancing Resources board in which you'll find plenty of articles to help you with writing proposals, negotiating with clients, setting your rates, enhancing your profile, and so on. On Upwork's Events & Webinars page, you can find official Upwork hosted events along with the ones hosted by Top Rated freelancers.

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Upwork

Hello Preston,

Nice to meet with you. I’m little bit disappointed because when I wrote and end my cover the client hired any other talent who pasted his copy paste cover letter. I only applied with new cover letter written by me but didn’t get clients.

What new strategy should I use to get clients?

Thanks
Fakhar Zaman

Create samples before you start applying to work. This means samples for currect posting ?

Exactly

Hi Preston,

I'm new to upwork and I was wondering what you mean by samples.  

Are these samples of your work?  If so, how do I get samples if I'm just 

starting  with UPWORK.

Thanks,

Steve

mtngigi
Community Member

Steve S wrote:

Hi Preston,

I'm new to upwork and I was wondering what you mean by samples.  

Are these samples of your work?  If so, how do I get samples if I'm just 

starting  with UPWORK.

Thanks,

Steve

By putting samples of previous work in your Upwork portfolio ...

Hi Everyone,
I am sending proposals for customers service jobs for the past few months but not getting any work.
Can anybody help?

Hi Preston.
I'm  a new member at Upwork and have been bidding for about 2 weeks. Unfortunately, none of the inquiries have converted into confirmed orders. I believe I have a good amount of work expereince and am a little miffed by the outcomes of by proposals. I'm wondering what could be going wrong here?

Also, I read in the above thread that one should attach a portfolio in the cover letter?
Is this correct?

I have an extensive list of work attached alongwith my portfolio but have never in the past sent it along with the cover letter. 
Here's a link to my Upwork profile. I'd really appreciate any inputs that you would have to give.
Thanks a lot for your time. 

Hello,

I am new to Upwork. Can I please get any help regarding what is meant by a sample?

Thank you very much!

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths