🐈
» Groups » Designers & Creatives » Forum » Should Quora ask people posting jobs not to a...
Page options
sourceprouk
Community Member

Should Quora ask people posting jobs not to ask for free work?

I know it is in the TOS not to negotiate free work but few people read them. I am talking about a warning message on the page where people go to post jobs.

There are reasons I say this:

1- If rogue clients ask for free work, and we know they had a warning above the box where they post the job, then we know they have no excuse they did not know and we then will know who we are dealing with in advance.

2- If they ask for initial work, with a proposal, ''innocently' (genuinely not knowing it is not allowed) and they are serious clients, it can lead to embarrassment and even friction when one says no. "Why not, I just want to to have an idea of what you are thinking" they have said to me.

3- There will always be providers who say yes and do the free work, some offer it. This is unfair on the proper providers like me. Clients will take what is offered to them, it is human nature. Some clients have shown me what other providers did for free at the time of bidding.

In the case of design, providers like me will know that clients in this field usually as for sketches, initial computer work and ideas. The designers and creatives job page could tell job posters not to ask for these things in particular, to make it even clearer.

3 REPLIES 3
carlos-lobo
Community Member

I dont even need such a TOS or whatever saying me: do not work for free, it is my natural instinct, I need the money for victuals, otherwise later starving, also is a logical process more than natural, I dont need to read  such TOS, common sense is guidance.

I've never heard the word victuals before. I like it. Might head down to the shop and pick up some victuals myself... make sure my cupboards are sufficiently victualled prior to the weekend!

"Welcome, humans. I'm ready for you!"
- Box, Logan's Run (1976)
VladimirG
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Federico,

Thanks for sharing your experience and suggestion in the Community. Please do report clients asking for free work and our team will follow up with them directly to reiterate Upwork ToS.

~ Vladimir
Upwork