🐈
» Groups » Designers & Creatives » Forum » Re: Submitting a portfolio
Page options
jen_wiederhold
Community Member

Submitting a portfolio

Does the art that you submit in your profile portfolio need to be what was done for actual clients in the past or can it be drawings you did for fun?
ACCEPTED SOLUTION
AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Jen, 

Your portfolio is where you have the opportunity to impress potential clients with real-life examples of your skills and expertise. Use it to show off projects related to any or all of your skills, so long as you personally have worked on every item you add and adhere to all of Upwork’s Terms of Service.

~ Avery
Upwork

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Jen, 

Your portfolio is where you have the opportunity to impress potential clients with real-life examples of your skills and expertise. Use it to show off projects related to any or all of your skills, so long as you personally have worked on every item you add and adhere to all of Upwork’s Terms of Service.

~ Avery
Upwork

Thank you!

Hey Avery 

I understand that a strong portfolio is very important to attract clients. I'm just not sure how to build mine as a translator. I've done a lot of translation work over the past 5 years so I'm quite experienced

but I don't have the authority to share any of it. Most of my work has been for NGOs and private corporations. 

Hasna:

Be creative.

There are MANY ways that you can display your skills as a translator.

- Ask clients (on Upwork or elsewhere) if you may feature the work you have done for them.

- Translate writing that is in the public domain. There are countless articles, stories, books, etc. which are in the public domain. You can do anything you want with them. There are archives of scientific journals, pulp fiction, short stories, poetry, etc.

- Find sources you like and ask the writers if you may translate those items for use in your portfolio. Many writers, bloggers, business owners, etc. would be happy to have you translate their writings, web pages, advertisements, etc.

- Hire writers to write original work that you will then translate into your target language. You are the owner of the writing you commission, and you can do anything you want with it.

- Ask friends to write material that you can translate. Or ask them if they have letters, social media posts, work-related writing, etc. that they can give you permission to translate and feature in your portfolio.