🐈
» Groups » Designers & Creatives » Forum » Suggestions for building an Upwork Clientele
Page options
joannalarsen
Community Member

Suggestions for building an Upwork Clientele

I'm new to upwork, but I have 26 years of experience as a graphic designer. I've submitted many proposals over the last 4 months and I have only been hired twice. I'd love suggestions from the experienced Upwork community about what works best for them in acquiring projects.

2 REPLIES 2
kbadeau
Community Member

I was in your same boat when I started here and I did several things to get experience and the rising talent badge. First and foremost, I was super selective about which jobs I even applied to, and VERY creative with my proposal. For example, coming from the publishing world, I applied for a children's book design gig. So I wrote my proposal like a fairy tale, explaining that even though I had very little Upwork experience, I had loads and loads of experience printing books.

I also tried the approach of being first to apply to something, which sometimes meant being on the platform at odd hours. I did things that weren't specifically graphic design, like handwriting letters because I have nice handwriting. And my starting rate was MUCH lower than what I charge now. It's just hard to get people to jump on board at $50+ an hour when you don't have any experience on your UW profile yet.

I think your portfolio looks great so other than that I'd only suggest two other things at the moment... pick something to highlight rather than trying to be a print AND web person. Packaging for example is something designers here might have less experience in. And change from "I have been employed in the graphic design industry for over 26 years." to "I have been a graphic designer for over 26 years."  Then I'd add that last line of your review to the end of your profile because that's a great testimonial.

Thank you Kelly for your detailed feedback! I really appreciate it.

I have been bidding jobs at a much lower rate than I have listed on my profile - thinking I would at least get some experience on the site. It just takes so much time to respond to proposals and it is starting to feel like a waste of time.

I do think taking Web off my description might be a good idea. Get more specialized and highlight my preferred skills.

Thank you! Joanna